Switching cd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new Dell computer because my old one is really crappy and is loaded with viruses.

However, my new comp comes with a 16x dvd drive, but the old one has a cd burner. Is it possible to switch, or at least take the Cd burner out of the old one and put it in the new one? Does this require software?

Btw, I don't know what brand the cd burner is because I got it a few years ago and replaced the original one.

If you have an available drive bay and IDE port, just add the CD drive to your system. If you don't have an available drive bay, you can buy an external drive enclosure (~$40) and connect via USB.

As far as software, XP should recognize your CD burner, but you'll still need to get burner software - hopefully you kept your old CDs.

Yes, just be sure to turn both computers off. Take the drive out of your old computer and put it into your new one, probably with setting the jumper on the back to Cable Select. Then turn on your new computer and all should be well, if not post back and we'll try to help you further.

BTW
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back