TechSpot

Switching from modem to router

By Droid0131
Jun 20, 2010
  1. I have my modem plugged into the computer and everythings running fine. I want to plug the modem into the router, router into computer and get that up and running. I'm running XP. The router connection will be wired, its an older computer.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

What's your question? Setting up a router is very easy with the models out now. They have a fold out chart and easy to follow instructions on the CD that comes with it.

3. Droid0131

Droid0131 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Question is how to switch form the modem---computer set up to the modem----router----computer.
    I know how to hook everything up, its setting up the computer to get online via the router.

4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

There's normally nothing you need to change on the PC. As long as you're setup to obtain an IP address in the network configuration, you don't need to change anything. Just configure the router and go.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

1) get the MAC address of your PC adaptor using run->ipconfig /all
    it will be seen as Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-yy-zz-aa-bb

2) wire the pc to the router (any LAN port) and log into the config page

3) find the tab that contains the masquerade option [x] enable it and place the MAC address
    of your system there

saved the settings and restart the router (power off; wait 30 sec, then power on)

Many ISP use Hardware Provisioning and the above is how we do it.
    a) if your ISP doesn't, no harm
    b) if it does, then this is the ONLY way you will get access to their DHCP configuration

6. Droid0131

Droid0131 TS Rookie Topic Starter

^ That did it. Thanks.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

Good Job :wave: - - thanks for the feedback

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.