Switching HDD's

Jul 5, 2007
  1. I have a shoddy stock 40gb Maxtor Hard Drive and i want to replace it with my Samsung 400gb Hard Drive. How can i copy all the files (system files and everything) from the 40gb hdd to my 400gb hdd. So my computer starts up and runs fine with just the 400gb hard drive plugged in, help appreciated.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

You'll need to clone the 40 to the 400. Seagate (and maybe samsung) have a utility that can do that for you. Or you could use Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage or something like that, but those cost money.
  3. LXIX

LXIX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

Can i just download the utility for free from their site or is it included software when i buy their products
  4. danimur

danimur TS Rookie Posts: 25

Hiren's Boot CD

Install both the drives into you computer. 400 Gb as Primary and the smaller drive as slave. You must search and use a program named Hiren's Boot on a CD. Reboot with the CD inside. You have several programms there that can help you to fromat, partition and can copy the image of your small drive into the bigger one and to use the whole capacity of the HDD.

Good luck to you.
  5. LXIX

LXIX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

Ok i hope this works
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.