switching mother boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
switched from amd to intel, does anyone know how get xp to boot after processor change without reloading a new copy of xp I have a lot programs loaded that I will lose if I reload?

Copy protection links XP to the MB. Call Microsoft for a new key. Tell them the situation. They will ask you if your copy of XP is used on more then one PC. If not, they will give you an activation key.

You are likely going to run into problems for the life of that windows install for doing this.

Boot up from the XP cd and do a repair of Windows, that is about your only chance of making it work short of a clean install. There is a sticky (by Rick) at the top of this forum for how to do a repair if you don't already know.

You CANNOT resuse the same windows on a HD with a motherboard/processor change. You can with a processor upgrade (that's different and may or may not require BIOS updates.)
If you change your motherboard and processor type, you MUST reformat and reload/re-register windows.

I've changed mobos and used the same install (not even repaired) several times that worked, and several times it didn't. It's hit or miss. Going ASRock dualSATA2 to DFI UltraD had no problems. Going from My Tforce6100-939 to a ECS P4M800 M2 was also problem free after a re-activation (I didn't even have to call.) I could not get 865P to VIA to work, or going from VIA to 965P eather. If it wont just work I usually just start over with a clean install, that's for the best anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back