Switching users hang time in Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoot4thrill

I'm currently running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Whenever I go to switch users the screen turns black for around 10 seconds and then the switch users page shows up. Is there a way to make it so I don't have that wait?

On my laptop I'm running Vista Business and don't have that problem and I haven't been able to pin point why it's happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It must be closing a big program or something

Try exiting all running programs, even Antivirus or personal firewall (you can disconnect from Internet as well to stay safe)
Then switch users
You may be able to work out which program is causing it, if this works without issue

I'm running the same programs on both my desktop and laptop so I'm not sure that that's the problem. My desktop is also a lot faster than my laptop running @ 4.0GHz so that leaves me clueless...

What are the system specs for the computer? How many programs do you have in memory when you switch?

My system specs are now shown to the right of my user name. I have a few programs running in the background such as, antivirus, mouse software, lightscribe software, steam, and that's it. Are one of these programs the culprit?

I actually just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit and that fixed the problem, lol. That's not the reason why I upgraded though. I'm having some gaming issues (created a thread in the gaming part of the forums if anyone wants to help out) so far with it but I like the overall layout better than vista. If these problems don't get fixed though then back to Vista I'll go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back