Syfy channel is rebranding with a renewed focus on science fiction

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Syfy (originally the Sci-Fi Channel) will celebrate its 25th anniversary later this year. To commemorate the occasion, its owners – NBCUniversal – on Thursday announced a rebranding effort that’ll deliver a “renewed commitment to the genre and fandom at large.”

The rebranding, which will debut June 19, will include a new logo, updated typeface and a refreshed look across all linear, digital and social platforms. Alexandra Shapiro, Executive Vice President, Marketing and Digital, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, describes it as a top-to-bottom, wholesale change of the way they express themselves.

The executive added that the new branding is designed for the digital age and tailored for the consumption patterns of their audience.

With any luck, the rebranding will go over better with fans than the last one did. As The Verge recalls, Sci Fi rebranded itself as Syfy in 2009. The play on grammar didn’t appeal to fans with Time magazine in 2010 labeling it as one of the top 10 worst corporate name changes.

Syfy is also adding a news section for breaking genre news, in-depth analysis and “thought-provoking” original content across its entire ecosystem include two new high-profile series pickups – the Superman prequel Krypton and a cable adaptation of Grant Morrison’s graphic novel Happy!. The latter will star 56-year-old Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: SVU fame.

Lead image via Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I wonder if it will influence other channels? Like MTV will ever get back around to being about music?
Or Discovery channels going back to making documentaries instead of wall to wall vehicle makeover / auction / "garage 'reality' shows"...

God, YES to this. These days if you want a particular kind of TV show you typically have no choice but to stream on demand. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I prefer a continuous flow of curated content based on a theme, I.e. traditional specialty programming. Some niche channels still offer this: Cartoon Network, sports and outdoor channels, H&G, etc. But the ones that started it all like MTV and Discovery have really went off the rails. If I was running things all the reality crap like Ice Road Truckers as well as other non-science and non-history content would be moved to a generic Discovery Channel. MTV would have hour long hosted segments for recent video releases three times a day (times would be something like 12 PM, 5 PM, 10 PM) and a weekly throwback show highlighting top videos of years past.

Can we get Stargate back...?
Getting Stargate back would be like getting back together with an old flame. You'd reminisce for a while, talk about how good it was, but the spark died long ago - it could never be the same. Firefly faces a similar challenge.

You might be able to get away with a mini series here or there (conclusion to the SG-U plot line anyone?), but you could never go into a full-blown series again, and its too easy to mess up TV-movies.

As much as I would love those channels to go back to their roots, it will never happen. You can pretty much thank millennials for that. All they watch is "reality" TV garbage. The last good thing to come out of MTV was when they launched MTV2 and it only played music. History rarely does any documentaries anymore. Discovery is pure garbage now. Science channel isn't too bad.

As much as I would love those channels to go back to their roots, it will never happen. You can pretty much thank millennials for that. All they watch is "reality" TV garbage. The last good thing to come out of MTV was when they launched MTV2 and it only played music. History rarely does any documentaries anymore. Discovery is pure garbage now. Science channel isn't too bad.

I know more Boomers and Xers who watch reality TV. Millennials watch Netflix and Youtube; they can't afford cable.

giphy.gif

Can we get Stargate back...?
I really want Stargate back too :((
Oh, me too! Please bring Stargate back. Ok, so, SGU was flying off into who knows what. Can we suddenly find another set of coordinates.... going to.... some galaxy in the center of the Eagle Nebula? Or something? C'mon...
I don't know about you guys, but I want to know the secrete behind the creation of the ZPM and how to charge them.

Back