Sygate to be discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Symantec Corp. will discontinue sales and support for customers who bought
personal security products from Sygate Inc., which Symantec purchased in October.

Symantec is shelving Sygate's Personal Firewall and Personal Firewall Pro
products on Nov. 30, according to an e-mail statement by Jenna Dee, a spokesperson for Symantec.

see the Eweek article for details

Insane.

I knew the product's quality would slowly decline once Symantec got their mitts on it, but I didn't think they'd simply trash it.

That's like Mazda buying Ferrari and then discontinuing to make them anymore. Just don't make no sense at all.

I think this was bound to happen. Another fine product that Symantec have wrecked. I guess they think it will encourage people to use their own bloatware.

Maybe the reason they bought the company in the first place, was to remove some of the competition.

Looks like I`m going back to Zonealarm.

Regards Howard :cool:

I'm still using Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 (the latest *working* version) and I don't even think about changing.

Why would I upgrade? KPF 4 is crappy and discontinued.

well, I for one won't be using Zone Alarm. To put it bluntly, I consider it to be a complete piece of crap.

I don't know what I'll be using instead. All I know is that Symantecs idiocy obviously knows no bounds. It's a blatantly superior product to their own efforts. why the hell don't they ditch Zone alarm instead. As stated above, I was expecting SPF to slowly get worse and worse, but to ditch a better product that you own in favour of the rubbish you would have to push instead is ludicrous.

Complete *****s - plain and simple.... and people wonder why they get such a bad rap... :haha:

well, I for one won't be using Zone Alarm. To put it bluntly, I consider it to be a complete piece of crap.

I`ve used Zonalarm both the pro version, and the free version, for a long time. I only recently decided to give Sygate a try, and I really liked it.

Unfortunately due to Symantec effectively getting rid of Sygate, I`ll go back to Zonealarm. I`ve never had a problem with it, and like you, I don`t know of a good alternative at the moment, though I am open to suggestions.

I know that some people have problems with Zonealarm, depending on what computer hardware they have, fortunately I don`t

Could you tell me why you don`t like Zonealarm?

Regards Howard :)

Sure, Howard :)

Personally, I don't like Zone alarm partly because I don't feel it has quite the same advanced features of SPF, and that SPF is better laid out and more accessable, but my grievance is slightly more than that.

In certain respects, I feel that Zone alarm can be a little TOO robust on occasions, blocking things that you just don't want blocked. I've seen many people haveing all sorts of problems with file transfers etc of various kinds, and blocked traffic that for some reason they've been unable to unblock without turning the firewall off completely.

On the other hand, ZoneAlarm, IMHO isn't written as well as SPF, resulting in a larger footprint and CPU usage - though I appreciate that this is only my own experience. I have however seen ZoneAlarm crash one or two peoples computers, and I have to wonder whether or not ZA is easier to circumvent on grounds that it's better known and more people have possibly put more time into finding ways around it.

On a slightly different note, while I know that some of Symantecs Corporate products are acctually quite good, I wouldn't trust them within a mile of my own machine because their performance in the home user market leaves a lot to be desired really. I'd rather not run the risk of having their stuff embed itself into my machine.

By contrast, the worst I've ever seen of SPF is that the program got damaged once in a blue moon and had to be re-installed. Apart from that I've never personally known anybody to have a problem with it.

I appreciate that my experience and concerns may not reflect on that of everybody else though, but none the less, I stick by my earlier comments, but would be more than happy to be corrected on any of the above if anything I've said is wrong or questionable in anybody elses experience - I'm like that :)

I also found zonealarm to be quite agressive compared to sygate. It required a lot more "input" from me.

But I can't think of who else to return to now that sygate is toast.

People, time to spend some money.
There is really only 1 contender: Agnitum Outpost Pro from www.agnitum.com
Been using them for years, had only one hiccup, which got sorted very quickly.

And keep spreading the word about the rotten tactics of that product-wrecking, PC-immobilizing, snailpace, bloatware crap-company Symantec!

Thanks for the relpy Spike.

I understand what you are saying, and agree with most of it.

I decided to give Sygate a try based upon recommendations here at Techspot.

I wouldn`t go back to Zonealarm if Sygate was here to stay, not for any untoward reason, but just because I like Sygate so much. I don`t think that Sygate is any better or worse than Zonealarm. I just prefer the feel of it.

I agree about the smaller footprint, but have never noticed any slowdown with my system when using Zonealarm. The only thing about Sygate that I`m not to keen on is the messaging system. I suppose that`s just personal preference on my part.

I can`t say I`ve ever had a problem with access or file transfers while using Zonealarm, but maybe that`s just me.

However, As I said earlier, I`ve never had any kind of problem with Zonealarm, although I do know of people who have. I do believe Zonealarm is a very fine firewall, especially the pro version.

I will however be searching for a good alternative to Sygate, before I go back to Zonealarm. Just to see what`s available.

Regards Howard :)

DonNagual said:
Insane.
I knew the product's quality would slowly decline once Symantec got their mitts on it, but I didn't think they'd simply trash it.
One motivation for buying a competitor is to consolidate the market and ensure
your product stays dominant!

Just because there's a better mouse-trap, it doesn't ensure market success.
Sadly, marketing always wins over quality of the product.

true, but with one flaw in my mind...

when symantec bought sygate, the superior SPF became SYMANTECS product, and as such they had a choice over which to wipe out. They had to drop one of their products, and they dropped the better one.

It's a sad day indeed... I have used both ZA and SPF, but I personally like the "feel" of SPF. And I pretty much agree with both Howard and Spike... Either way, damn Symantec.

Spike said:
true, but with one flaw in my mind...
They had to drop one of their products, and they dropped the better one.

He who has the $$$, makes the rules :(
Caveat Emptor!

Indeed sad news. A lucky escape for me as a short time ago I went to buy a 5 licence SPF, but on finding Symantec had grabbed it demured.
I'm using ZA on my servers so the question is do I go back or maybe follow Real's suggestion and give Agnitum Outpost a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back