Symantec AntiVirus is freaking out over non-existent file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmyofKirb

Hey everybody,

Symantec AV's autoprotect feature is constantly freaking out over the following file: IPXCATEX.EXE. It would normally allow me to quarantine or delete the file, but its not there! It says the file is in the Windows\System32 directory, but even after ensuring that all the hidden files are visible it doesn't show up.
I figured it might be an incorrect registry setting, but I haven't been able to find any entry regarding IPXCATEX.EXE. The upswing of all this is that Symantec AV is constantly popping up an alert window about this file, but I can't do anything to resolve it.
Any insight into this minor annoyance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

P.S. How's it going RBS?

I resolved my stupid IPXCATEX.EXE issue. I used the registry editor that comes with Tune Up Utilities 2006 to search for the offending registry entry. It was related to a Trojan I had last week. I deleted the entry and haven't had any further problems. Yea Me!

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but when I visited the AVG website, it allowed me to download the installer program, but it prompts me for a registration/purchase code. That doesn't look free to me...

Thanks, RBS. I downloaded AVG. Once installed, it's 1/8 the size of Symantec. I see your point. Why do you have to be right all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back