Symantec becomes third major tech company to announce split in two weeks

By Shawn Knight
Oct 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Shoring up rumors on the matter from earlier in the week, Symantec has confirmed plans to split into two independent, publicly traded companies. One will focus on information management while the other will concentrate on Symantec's bread and butter: security.

Read more
  2. David T.

David T. TS Rookie

Crap Antivirus company breaks into two small pieces of crap. Other than their research on Stuxnet, my opinion of the company is very negative. Home use and corporate antivirus solutions are about as bad as Mcafee. I see the green check mark running in the tray yet countless systems end up being heavily infected with all sorts of Malware,spyware, trojans, etc. Maybe the main focus should be creating better products. Bit Defender is vastly more effective and in some cases Avast Free Antivirus. A free product does a better job in some cases than an expensive product!
  3. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Not mention Backup Exec.....
  4. We have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for a number of years in our Corporate environment and it is a decent product.
    DJMIKE25 likes this.
  5. DJMIKE25

DJMIKE25 TS Booster Posts: 150   +47

We Use endpoint protection and Backup exec for our clients and do not have any issues. I guess you can't make everyone happy.
  6. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 361   +49

I wonder which company will announce it's splitting into two next?
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

Maybe Samsung will sell off it's iPhone division :confused::D
    ddg4005 likes this.
  8. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Booster Posts: 156   +31

We use it at our business to and it doesn't affect the computers which I like. Is it very effect? Can't really say. Personally I would choose something different if it weren't for the "Symantec" name pleasing the auditors. They think its great. I know on personally computers that's the first thing I remove for better performance and to remove all the viruses with other tools.

Luckily we run Malwarebytes professional also at work. I think it does a much better job at protection. That's all I run on Windows 8 machines. You don't need anything else.