TechSpot

Symantec says cybercrime cost consumers $110 billion last year

By Shawn Knight
Sep 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. New research shows more than 71 million Americans became victims of cybercrime over the past 12 months. Symantec's 2012 Cybercrime Report further highlights the fact that US consumers lost nearly $21 billion as a result of malware, viruses, hacking, scams,...

Read more

2. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Let's play a game where we list the top ten reasons a company would fund a study that ended up returning massive losses to US consumers because of cyber crime...

3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

I think that number is extremely conservative. Press announcement for a company that's struggling. GG symantec, GG.....

4. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 193   +8

We all know this is a big problem but some of those numbers seem REALLY high. I guess it depends what you consider a "victim".

5. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Hmm, sounds like a compelling reason to bring in more warrantless survelliance and give up even more of our freedoms and privacy to me...

6. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Good idea, I'll second that! ;)

7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller TS Enthusiast Posts: 163

Just goes to show you that newer technology needs to be developed to combat cybercrime.

8. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

How much of that crime that is reported is actual crimes and not user errors? I.E. Grandma and Grampa not being as internet savvy as others clicks a link in a email. Or Mom and Dad try and buy something online and end up with identity theft. How much of that reported is actual active criminal activity.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.