Synology DS414slim & QNAP TS-453mini NAS Review: Convenient storage with a tiny footprint

Steve

Staff member

NAS servers have become more common among home users over the past few years, providing a quick, easy and secure means of backing up important data. They are power efficient, allowing even home users to run them 24/7, while configuring them is easier than ever thanks to companies such as Synology and QNAP refining their software over the years.

Compared to a dedicated server that requires a monitor, keyboard, mouse and of course a PC case, a desktop NAS is considerably more compact, especially two-bay and four-bay models, which are typically smaller than a shoe box.

On hand today we have the QNAP TS-453mini, which comes in a $530 package with 2GB of RAM and one with 8GB for $670, as well as Synology's latest compact NAS, the DS414slim, which can be had for $300. Given that difference in price, the two aren't really direct competitors. The DS414slim also has a tiny 1.78L capacity whereas the TS-453mini is a relative behemoth at 6.3L, so this isn't a straight up Synology vs. QNAP battle, but rather a look at each company's approach to developing compact NAS solutions.

Read the complete review.

Thanks for the side by side review, I've increasingly been considering on replacing my Home Server with a NAS and something like a BeeBox, so I've been keeping an eye out on NAS reviews. Between TechSpot and a couple other places, I've been given a wealth of information. Maybe my purchase will come sooner than later. :)

Back