System 32 spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noog

I got hit with the System 32/Sheriff spyware. I got rid of as much as I can with Ad-Aware and Spybot, but when I go to a search engine the results are still messed up. Thanks.

Attachments

• error.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 5
This should be killed:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.exe

Then fix these:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service32] C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.exe

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)

O15 - ProtocolDefaults: '@ivt' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Intranet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'file' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'ftp' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)

Spysheriff is malware and should not be used to clean a PC from spyware/ adware/ malware. It's pretty bad e.g. if you try to use System Restore you will find that Spysheriff erased your restore points, so that won't work.

Instead follow these steps:

1. Open task manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, and click on the "Processes" tab. Look for Spysheriff there and kill the process if you see it. If you see a process named "winstall" (winstall.exe) then delete this one also.
2. In the control panel goto "Add/ Remove Programs" and remove the "SpySheriff" program. If it says that it cannot uninstall, then you still have it running. It will uninstall once it's not running.
3. Your desktop background will not be restored by that uninstall. Go into the registry by starting RegEdit.exe from the start button
4. Look for this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\A ctiveDesktop
It will have about 6 values stored that disable certain things. Delete this whole branch ActiveDesktop - the system will work with default values afterwards.
Also delete this branch in your registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\S ystem
5. Look in your root directory for a file named winstall.exe. Mine was in c:\ and 24064 Bytes in size.
This file is scheduled to execute each time you boot and it will re-install Spysheriff.
Delete that file.
Update:

There may also be additional executable files that were created at the same time as winstall.exe. Those files may be named 'winstall.exe' and 'ibm00001.exe'. You should delete those files as well. If you have this file ibm0001.exe please see the other article regarding ibm0001.exe.
6. Restart your system.
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back