System affected by "System Alert Popup" and then "Internet Explorer Security Plugin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeep.jgupta

Hi.
This is Sandeep.
Yesterday, while i was surfing (i also did try some downloads... and i curse myself for that now..), my system started giving these bugging popups out of my system tray, informing about my PC being affected by viruses, trojans and what not. My PC was never diagonised that bad :(.
I checked the add/remove from the control panel, and found this new program - "System Alert Popup". I tried removing it, but it asked for a system reboot before deleting, i did that, but upon restarting, found that it was still there. Tried same stuff again, and it worked. Assuming that i have rectified the problem, i started surfing again (this time, with even the Norton parental control on, and windows firewal active). I was almost dead when i saw that annoying pop up again (as if it was smiling at me as it made a fool out of me).
I quickly went back to add/remove, and this time saw a new program "Internet Explorer Security Plugin 2006". Tried removing it, but this is not helping. The program sits there and keeps popping every few mins.... This is realy creating a problem.
PS: I have Norton Antivirus 2005. I even ran full system scan 2 times (1st time gave 5 infections. 3 were removed 2 were excluded). 2nd time, no infections. means norton is not able to read the malware.

Hi sandeep.jgupta and welcome to TechSpot.:)

You need to have a read of this - If your system is infected. Read this before deciding whether to CLEAN or REFORMAT.

Then if you should wish to proceed with cleaning your system you need to go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as ATTACHMENTS into this thread, only after doing the above.

This thread is for the use of sandeep.jgupta only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

thanx ric,

I read the material you told me to read.
I do use my computer for net banking and other personal stuffs. but however, during the session when i got attached by the virus/malware/trojan... i did not used any such online service. But i have used in past, when the system was not affected. do you still recommend to format the laptop. I have never done his before, so i am a bit scared. i have a sony vaio, and i am afraid, that formating might loose all the somy provided sofwares. or should i go to the shop, and get the system re-installed using the recovery function in my laptop.

All depends on what type of infection you have got. Most infections are benign, but some will look to your credit card details and banking details in order to rip you off. At the very least you need to change all of your passwords so that this can be avoided.

If you would like to do a hijackthis log and AVG log and post them as per the instructions we will be able to see if you have had an infection that could possibly cause problems.

This thread is for the use of sandeep.jgupta only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ric,

Each reply from you makes me think i am progressing in right direction. Thanks.

Ok, i would like to follow:
-Prepare a HJT log, and share it with you.
-You, then read my log, and come up with next step.

But as mentions in the preliminary steps to remove adware/spyware. I already have a Norton antiviris installed in my laptop. DO i need to get rid of this before intalling the HJT or AVG or any other antivirus/firewall recommended in TS.
Kindly tell me, what and how do i get started.

You don't need to remove Norton in order to do a hijackthis log. But, I highly recommend that you get rid of Norton as it is crap and does a very poor job of keeping the spyware at bay. Below is a set of instructions for removing Norton.

Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

It entirely your choice whether you decide to follow these instructions or not.

Rik,
Ok, I shall be sendign the HJT and AVG log. But the internet connection at my home is down (i have my laptop there), and i am currently online from office. I shall check when i am back home if net is up and running. But even then, i have to wait till its time for me to leave to home (6 hours from now).

One question:
As i have paid heaavy money for Norton, i atleast want to use it for 1 year.. after which i shall throw it out forever (i read all anti-post for norton on TS). Is it safe if i keep Norton on my system and still go ahead with AVG and Zonealarm (i have decided on these two). May be once i am with clean system and when AVG and Zonealarm have taken control over the security of my laptop, i shall remove Norton forever for good.

Kindly suggest.... Rik.

Regards,
Sandy

As I said before, it is entirely your choice whether you remove it or not.

Using all those programmes together should work okay.

ok Rik,

was very disappointed till morning, but feeling better..... lets see if i can get this fixed with all the help form ur side.
let me check out with HJT and AVG first thing, and then i shall get back to you... say may be after 6 hours...
just bless me :)
Sandy

sandeep.jgupta said:
One question:
As i have paid heaavy money for Norton, i atleast want to use it for 1 year.. after which i shall throw it out forever (i read all anti-post for norton on TS). Is it safe if i keep Norton on my system and still go ahead with AVG and Zonealarm (i have decided on these two). May be once i am with clean system and when AVG and Zonealarm have taken control over the security of my laptop, i shall remove Norton forever for good.
I've used Norton for a long time with great success. I't's only since
Sept 06 that I moved to GOMODO and AVG7 as it just became too much pain
to keep Norton running after all the updates.

If you notice, there's a lot of emotional content that is anti-Norton on TS.
Lot's of labels are tossed about; Crapware, bloatware --
That's ok, but it doesn't mean that Norton doesn't work or is any less effective
than any other security package.
Realize: there's no ONE solution for antivirus! You need all the scanners you can get.
(but make sure that they are run manually and only one performs email scanning)

We see so many problems with Norton and McAfee, compared to AVG, that it is astonishing. The tech user has no problems, but the know-nothing becomes a victim. The newest version of Norton is a definite improvement, and they seem to have removed the bloat.
But Norton will not help sandeep.jgupta, and I think AGP with AGP AntiSpyware will... if he tries them.
Also, Sandeep, it appears to me your system would benefit from a simple registry edit, such as reg clean, which is free and easy. The fancy, powerful registry editors would be dangerous...
You do have an infestation. The HiJak will tell us how much and how bad.

"We see so many problems with Norton and McAfee, compared to AVG, that it is astonishing. The tech user has no problems, but the know-nothing becomes a victim. The newest version of Norton is a definite improvement, and they seem to have removed the bloat."

""We see so many problems with Norton and McAfee, compared to AVG, that it is astonishing."

Raybay, this is just like saying "More people have trouble with Windows than they do with Linux. How many people use Windows, and how many us some other OS?

More systems come equipped with McAfee and Norton than they do with AVG, so what you said is true, but it has no validity.

I tried AVG Free for about 6 months. Talk about too many updates! AVG was updating definitions 3 or 4 times a day and one day it just quit. Many of the motherboard utility discs have a trial versions of many virus and spyware protection programs. I got a trial 60-day version of Norton Internet Security 2006, and I was using it until I heard of the availability of Norton 360 Beta. Norton 360 is suitable for use in Vista. It seems to have less bloat and the updates and scans are much faster. The auto system backup is cool too

Perhaps.
I am talking about a four state service and repair organization... But since they are among the largest, that creates a bias in our minds...
However the problems are so severe, and the costs they charge are so high, that what they do is wrong, if only from a moral sense.
Take a look at their income figures on any good wall street analysis, then take a look at any repair services company statistics on what problems the elderly and the young have, and what the various services cost them.
We simply do not see the problems with AVG, Panda, Computer Associates, and Trend Micro, regardless of the numbers, that we see with Norton and McAfee. Nor do any other repair services with whom we are in regular touch.
And we closely tabulate and track these problems.
There are significant differences between the kind of people that visit a site such as this, and those that the retired individual in Green Valley Arizona. You can easily spend $100 for tech support of Norton, without ever getting a usable answer. We peform a better service getting the user's money back from Symantec... which is no easy task, as there are no phone numbers posted.

"The tech user has no problems, but the know-nothing becomes a victim. The newest version of Norton is a definite improvement, and they seem to have removed the bloat."

This is a true statement. I am a tech user! I worked for a multi-state computer repair center also raybay. Halifax Corporation based in Pennsylvania. I worked for them for 8 years as a component-level repair tech. I have never been a "paper pusher". I've always been a "hands on" type of guy. I know you know what you are talking about. I do have a love/hate relationship with Symantec

I'm not against trying new programs, and being a tech, I can handle a lot of software and hardware issues as they happen. Norton has had a lot of bad press, and I know much of it is deserved. They are not a stupid bunch of morons though. They may have been a little "pigheaded" with business issues just like Microsoft and Apple have been

Sorry guys, but this in not a discussion thread.

This threads entire purpose is to help sandeep.jgupta with his spyware problems.

By all means argue about the pros and cons of Norton, but not here!!

Please take note of the following part.

I have Downloaded HijackThis. Unziped it and placed it in it`s own directory C:\program files\hijackThis\HijackThis.exe. I have also Renamed the Hijackthis.exe file to Analyze.exe. Have sent to desktop(create shortcut).
Now what.. how do i create the HJT log??

I have also downloaded the exe for AVG from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5 . The exe name on site was - avg75free_432a904.exe
Tell me if this is ok. Can i install it

I have also downloaded the exe for zonelab from http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/
the name of downloaded exe file iszlsSetup_65_737_000_en
Is this also fine. Can I install it.

Do i also need to download AVG antispyware?

I tried the 'online virus scanner' from http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/housecall/housecall_launch.php
but when i click the 'check my pc' it dos nothing.... i expected a popup or a new window with scan updates. Why is this happening??

Sorry for flodding you with all these questions.... but it wud be a great help for me.... dont want to take any risks now...

PS: am online and the popup comes almost every 10 seconds.... its really getting too much :(

Regards
Sandeep

Everything you have done is good.:)

If you have major problems with the online scan then skip it.

For your own safety, please inform your online bank or whatever financial institutions you have dealt with that you have an infection so they can take steps to protect you account(s).

Yes sandeep,
go ahead and download all these, and run them

"For your own safety, please inform your online bank or whatever financial institutions you have dealt with that you have an infection so they can take steps to protect you account(s)."

Here in the USA, banks have required a more secure login to their accounts since November. It's a bit of a pain to login, but I hope it really is more secure

Thanks Rik. :)

I have downloaded HJT and renamed the exe to analyse and kept the short in desktop. Do i install it??

I have istalled both Zonealarm and AVG antivirus, and restarted my system.

How do i create the HJT log (i have not yet istalled it, just downloaded it)??

Regards,
Sandeep

Tmagic,

Thanks.... i am installing the AVG antispyware....

Could you answer my question regarding.. the HJT. I have downloaded and renamed,also put shortcut on desktop.
Do i go ahead with installing the renames exe.
How do i create the HJT logs?? Does it do by itself?

Dear Rik...

AVG antispyware gave an adware detection while scanning my system. I checked the 'clean and quarantine' option and restared the system (due to restart the scann was stopped in between). But after restart and connecting to net... i no longer get the popups... (so far from last 15 mins).

I am attaching
1) HJT log before AVG antisoyware sterted.
2) Screen shot of AVG antispyware detection and my option (clean n quarantine). You can also see the annoying popup at the right bottom corner.... in the screen shot.
3) HJT log after the AVG antispyware did the recommended action of cleanand quaratine.

Kndly tell me, after looking at the log.... IS MY SYSTEM SAFE n CLEAN now...?

Regards,
Sandeep.

Dear Rik...

AVG antispyware gave an adware detection while scanning my system. I checked the 'clean and quarantine' option and restared the system (due to restart the scann was stopped in between). But after restart and connecting to net... i no longer get the popups... (so far from last 15 mins).

I am attaching
1) HJT log before AVG antisoyware sterted.
2) Screen shot of AVG antispyware detection and my option (clean n quarantine). You can also see the annoying popup at the right bottom corner.... in the screen shot.
3) HJT log after the AVG antispyware did the recommended action of cleanand quaratine.

Kndly tell me, after looking at the log.... IS MY SYSTEM SAFE n CLEAN now...?

Regards,
Sandeep.

Dear,

one more update... now its almost 30 mins... and no pop us... i m so happy..... i have also shut down the zoneware.... but bith AVG antivirus and AVG antispyware are running.

out of curiosity, i checked the add/remove from control panel. But was shicked to see the "internet explorer security plugin 2006" still in list. when i tried to remove it, AVG antispy gave the adware.generic warning again, i prompted to clean and quarantine. I again opened the add/remove, and tried to remove "internet explorer security plugin 2006" again. Ths time, windows gave n error "may be program ia already uninstalled, do you want to remove from add/remove list", to which i happily replied YES.....

although the system is behaving properly... plz plz... tell me is my system is really clean..... check the HJT form i created after system scan. I am attaching it again now.

Regards,
Sandeep

The spyware you contracted does not look to be too nasty! I can see no evidence of a worm or Trojan.

I can not be 100% sure that your PC is completely safe though!

It is entirely up to you to decide if you wish to clean or reformat!

Please let me know what you wish to do!

Rik,

Whatever it was... i was really not to happy abt it... but now that its not annoying anymore due to your help n support... i feel good :)

Regarding the clean-reformat..... do u have any idea, if i use the sony vaio recovery fucntion.... will it clean the ystem without affecting the default softwares and installers and hat abt my personal data?

Regards
Sandeep.

To be quite honest with you I have never had the misfortune to own a Sony VAIO.
They are well known for being unreliable and prone to breaking down!
You should make sure that all of your important information is backed up!

Rik,

:)
Thanks for being frank....! I appreciate.
Well i shall visit the sony center to get the recovery done.. and take all necc. backups on dvd.....
Thanks a lot for ur timely help....
cheers to TS and team....

Regards
Sandeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back