system alert assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deer Dance14

Hey all at techspot,
I was recently victimized by the "sytem alert" problem that i know a lot of people have had to deal with. I went through "Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions" steps 1-10. The system alert balloon in my system tray is gone, finally. However, the system alert program still shows in my add/remove program list. When I hit remove, i get a message that says it may have already been removed, do I want to remove the program from the list.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to be sure that the sytem alert stuff is really gone, and not just hiding somewhere. Also I'm wondering if I need to continue through the last few steps.

Thanks much!

Also, after I completed steps 1-10, I can no longer access http://www.google.com, any suggestions there? Thanks!

Your HJT log is clean.

However, you have a Symantec service running, this needs stopping and getting rid of.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc)<Disable the service name and/or the name in brackets.

Close the services window.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post the rest of the log files as attachments as per the instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Deer Dance14 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks much, I don't have time to do this today. I will get follow your steps sunday night and get back to you. Thanks so much!

ok i just got rid of the symantec stuff. here's a new hijackthis log:

thanks!

Verbose HJT log removed. Please post your log files as attachments and not copy and pasted. See HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back