system alert pop-up/malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael1981

Hi there,
Thanks very much for your help so far. I had the annoying system pop-up or the corner of my screen. It flashed between the red shield with an "X" and and blue one with an "!". By clicking on it it went to a website for malware software.

I have followed the step by step instructions on the other thread - Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions - and the system pop-up has gone. Thanks!!!!.

For some reason the Tool 1 and combofix would not work when I downloaded them and tried to run them.

AVG Rootkit and Anti-spyware didn't come up with anything.

I have attacted the hijackthis log.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

Could you try downloading ComboFix once more from the link in my signature and run it?

Have HijackThis fix these entries:
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,%windir%\system32\userinit.exe,
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {29C5A3B6-9A8D-4FA0-B5AD-3E20F4AA5C00} - (no file)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: SSOExec - %windir%\temp\sso\ssoexec.dll (file missing)

Post a fresh HijackThis and ComboFix log in your reply when you are done.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of michael1981 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi momok,
Thanks so much. I will try that when I get home from work. It is the first time I have used HiJackThis how do I fix the entries?

Cheers,
Michael

I tried downloading Combofix from your signature. Same result. When I ran the .exe file a window flashes up very briefly and that's all that happens. Same as when I triend to run SmitFraudFix.

I fixed the entries that you told me to in Hijack.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

You may wish to copy and paste these instructions on notepad for easier reference later.

Boot into safe mode under your normal user name. See how HERE
Next turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE

1. Navigate in Windows Explorer and delete the following files and folders in bold.

c:\windows\system32\cmd.com
    c:\windows\system32\netstat.com
    c:\windows\system32\ping.com
    c:\windows\system32\regedit.com
    c:\windows\system32\taskkill.com
    c:\windows\system32\tasklist.com
    c:\windows\system32\tracert.com
    c:\windows\system32\bszip.dll

2. Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.
Try running ComboFix after that.

Thereafter, please post fresh HJT, ComboFix and AVG Antispyware logs from normal mode as attachments into this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of michael1981 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi momok,
I couldn't find the files you mentioned. I noticed there were .exe files but no .com files.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi,

Are you able to run 'cmd' from Start > Run ? It seems to me something is blocking it from running, which is the reason why you cannot run ComboFix.

Were you able to run ComboFix from safemode?

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Hi,
Yes I was able to run 'cmd' from Start > Run.

No I couldn't run ComboFix from safemode.

I have attached fresh HijackThis and AVG anti-virus logs.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

Could you have HijackThis fix this entry?
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [combofix] C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c Combobatch.bat

Download the Autoruns programme from HERE. When the programme runs, click options and make sure the "Hide Microsoft Entries" is ticked. Click the file menu and select refresh. Click the save icon and save the Autoruns log to wherever you want.

Attach the Autoruns log here.

Also, download and run a scan on the Blacklight programme. Let me know the results.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Hi momok,
I really appreciate your help. I would be very lost without it.

* I fixed the Hijackthis entry
* Ran autorun - log attached
* I did a scan with the Backlight program. Nothing came up.
* I then did a further scan with combofix and smitfraudfix. Same results, program only flashes up for half a second.

Fresh Hijackthis attached.

Thanks,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back