System Compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

osudelt69

Hey guys I am working a deal for some labor to get a Dual PIII 450mhz 512k processors and Iwill dlb100 complete system with 1 GB memory. I was wondering how this would compare as a server compared to my 2700xp athlon with 512mb, 7200rpm IDE drive. How would this new system run using Windows 2000 server compared to the amd system. The PIII would have scsi raid drives (i will have to buy those) but rest is free. So comments, ideas, suggestions.

If you play games, the Dual P-III is going to be infinitely slower...

But if you just plan on doing office type work, Internet and application work, I'm sure it will run very, very nice.

It seems pretty obvious that your 2700 XP will blow this system away, though.

Rick, thanks for your response. No no games on the P-III xeon. I was thinking of running a testing server for the cold fusion project I have coming up or using it as a internet research machine. It will make a good stable system. I might transfer my 80GB WD 7200 into the Dual PIII and get some nice SCSI Raid for my 2700xp. I'm still thinking on what exactly I need and how the systems I currently have will work. Going to be creating a SQL database with SQL 7.0, cold fusion mx 6.1, flash Mx, and dreamweaver MX. Will need to test the whole thing, maybe host it temporarily while we troubleshoot and pitch our services. Not sure what to do. Thanks

Would the dual 450 xeon make a good file server? Where I set it up to run backups on my other computers? I need to find a good use for this machine, or I'll have to gut it and put in some new stuff. I was thinking if I gutted it, I would install a dual MP system with 1 or 2 GB of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back