System Continuously crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I am not sure why its happening , but my system just keeps crashing all the time. I have tried formatting and installing windows again and again but after you use the computer for some time it just stops working and not responding.

Here's my Config:

(all which was purchased within a year and a half)
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz
SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB ram ( 4 - 1gb sticks)
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
Nvidia Quadro FX 1500 256mgb Graphics Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card
Western Digital Caviar SE Sata 250GB HD

Let me go back and give you more information. My previous installment had a 160gb hard drive and a slower processor. Worked great for a year and a half. All of a sudden I got constant stop errors (mostly 0x000000F4) and would usually restart no problem. Then the computer started locking up and restarted but recieved a disk error hit ctrl alt del to restart. I did, then it went to the desktop....next time I started the computer it said cannot load windows because a file in the sys is corrupt. Ok, so I tried Automated Syste recovery, no luck. Tried reinstalling windows, no luck. I had to reinstall windows as "windows1" to get what my files off "windows." Thinking that my hard drive was shot, I purchased a new, larger drive (250gb) and a faster processor which was mentioned earlier in this post. I installed windows on the first try, no issues...however about 26 days later, windows halted, giving me stop errors and then ofcourse a Disk read error........
Wow. So I did a reformat...and tried reinstalling windows....which failed to install. Disk Read error. So I took it to a guy and he did a low level format....so I tried to install windows again...this time it partitioned and copied files over and restarted....ofcourse giving me a Disk Read error........So I did some tests I found through the internet... Memtest86 for the ram, and a diagnostic tool from Western Digital. The hard drive diagnostics came out NO ERRORS and then I let the memtest run....it ran for 6 passes, no errors....Which leaves me to believe that from what Ive read - it could be the power supply or the motherboard........I dont see how it could be the Power supply. But someone please convince me what my problem is and what should I do. I need this computer up and running asap, as I do use it for a living and have been stuck with this issue for 2 weeks now....Thanks in advance, this is all the info I have - and provided you with it.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Some more info.
I doubt I have any viruses on the previous and latest drive. I always had Norton Internet security 2007 running and did weekly virus checks. No Issues...
Also, I built this computer. I have had previous experience in build but ya never know if I have something wrong. Ok thats all.

oh man, it sounds very painful. I pressume you have got the latest BIOS, have run chkdsk on your disk (WD utility may not run this) and have install PC Probe II form the asus site to see the temperature of your pc. Check as well if you have disable the built-in sound card

It is very painful...before all the crashing I did have the latest bios, pc probe etc. But now that I cant basically do anything ( again with no errors on the hard drive or the ram) I dont know what else it could be. If I run chkdsk from the windows recovery, it just says no errors. Nothin :(

have you installed the four gis of ram recently and or updated nvidia drivers? I had the same setup and nvidia drivers kept crashing with 4 gigs installed. sounds woerd, but when I took out 1 gig it was good. did not matter which stick or which slot. also some people said they had problems with the 6400+ on the m2n sli deluxe without under clocking it due to the fsb of the board.

Thats funny. On the previous hard drive I had, (which was a smaller processor and I only had 2 gigs at the time) I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram, and then found an update for my video card about a month later. The system lasted for a couple months then started crashing miserably. Thinking the drive was done I got a new hard drive and a faster processor at the same time. Installed them both, upgraded all drivers for all my hardware as well as the video card...i think.... the system lasted about 26 days and would not even format a new windows installation....What do you mean by underclocking? I never overclocked or modified anything. Never really thought it was safe so I just kept everything at default...

I'll replace the sata cables and see what that does. I also found a link on that page that led to some other pretty useful information. There was a section that said this : "Check that your psu is putting out enough power for your system. Especially, check that there are enough amps on the 12volt rail. An underpowered psu can cause all kinds of random crashes."

How can I test this?

maestromasada said:
Have a look to this post, it may shed some light
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65491.html

rdeyoung said:
Thats funny. On the previous hard drive I had, (which was a smaller processor and I only had 2 gigs at the time) I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram, and then found an update for my video card about a month later. The system lasted for a couple months then started crashing miserably. Thinking the drive was done I got a new hard drive and a faster processor at the same time. Installed them both, upgraded all drivers for all my hardware as well as the video card...i think.... the system lasted about 26 days and would not even format a new windows installation....What do you mean by underclocking? I never overclocked or modified anything. Never really thought it was safe so I just kept everything at default...

I had to lower my proc from 3.2 (the stock speed) to 3 ghz by changing the multiplier if you have the black edition and its unlocked or changed the fsb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back