System crashes for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has a problem that is beyond my ability to readily identify and I hope someone can me help figure it out.
The problem presents itself in two separate ways which I assume are related. The computer will crash with a blue screen momentarily flashing that I am not fast enough to read, and then the computer does a full reboot. When the reboot is complete I get a window that says an error log was created and asks if I want to send an error report. The second symptom is a lockup of what ever program I am working in and a window opens up stating there has been a system error and it asks me if I want to send and error report.
The failures occur when working with Word, Excel, Outlook Express and Internet Express.

Sample of error message:
BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 81ECF448 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001 BCP4 : 804DBC9A OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

The hardware is as follows:
MOTHERBOARD = MSI P4MAM with P4M266A chipset Intel 478 CPU socket)
RAM = Mushkin Basic Green 184 pin 256MB DDR PC-2100
CPU = Intel P-4 2.26GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache
OS = Windows XP home edition

It does not appear to be heat related since the air blowing form the cabinet is just above room temperature. I have a ZALMAN CNPS7000A cooler fan with a large heat sink on the CPU as well as an added exhaust fan (plus the power supply fan). I can turn the system on and let it run for a day or two and have no problems and sometime it starts acting up after only a few minutes.

The problem appears more often when I try to do multiple things at once or do things quickly like close a window while saving a file etc.

There is also an ArrowMicro Card Reader, SAMSUN 40GB IDE hard drive, TOSHIBA 16X DVD/RW optical drive and D-link Wireless Ethernet card installed.

Any suggestions on what I should do to try and isolate the problem or get more info to help troubleshoot this problem?

First likely thing would be to do a memory test. Get Memtest86 from www.memtest.org, (the floppy version, or an .iso to burn a self-booting CD) and run that for 6-7 cycles.
Try another memoryslot.
Take memory out and clean the contacts with an eraser to remove corrosion.
Be careful with static, earth yourself first on a radiator pipe.

according to the msi website, your board has the VIA VT8751A/VT8235 Chipset.

download the microsoft windows memory tester at http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
and run the advanced test at least once all the way through.

download prime95 and run a stress test. it can be downloaded at numerous sites and is easily found using google.

reply the results, as the outcome of these tests really narrows the possible problems down. bsods and behavior as you desribed can be caused by almost anything, so it's important to properly test the machine.

I would trust memtest86 over windows memory test. Windows cannot physically test all available system memory where as memtest86 can.

true, true. apparently rbs posted whilst i was writing mine. windows memory tester is usually suffificient though.

Have a similar problem. Ran windows memory diagnostic and it fails every test for the primary slot only. Swap it with the secondary and still fails primary. Normally I'd assume the slot was bad and figure the Mobo was bad but I've found computers are more complicated than F-15 aircraft oddly. So I ran the MemTest86 instead and everything passes. So I figure either Microsoft sucks (which isn't far off) and gave me false readings or its correct and MemTest is no good. Did some looking and seems most of the people with memory issues have one thing in common. Windows XP. Any thoughts?

try another compatible stick of ram, as yours may very well be incompatible with your board. i believe your motherboard's manufacturer's website contains a list of the modules you'll want.

Thanks

Looks like I had a bad stick. Downloaded MemTest 86 but couldn't get it to build a bootable CD ROM for some reason. Had to go with MicroSofts memory test since it builds a floppy easy enough. The ram failed first run and kept failing at various tests. Installed a new stick today and it ran the test fine after 11 runs so I put the machine back together and it is running fine now.

Thanks for the help

And yes, I am running XP too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back