System doesn't acknowledge my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running an eMachines M310 notebook. It has an ATI Radeon Mobility U1 (also known as ATI Radeon Mobility IGP M320) graphics card. I recently installed Vista. I noticed that I didn't have the Aero color scheme available, and discovered it was because I didn't have 3D Acceleration. I checked the Device Manager to see if there was a problem with my graphics card, and low and behold, it was only showing VGA. I disabled VGA and rebooted, and Device Manager then listed my graphics card, but had the yellow exclamation point indicating that there was a resource conflict and that the graphics card wouldn't work until I disabled another device on the system. I couldn't figure out where the conflict was. I disabled just about everything I could without completely crashing my system, but every time I would disable a device, more and more resource conflicts would pop up. How can I get my system to recognize my graphics card without having conflicting resources? Also, is there any way to enable 3D Acceleration on my graphics card? I don't think it supports it, but I've seen a few mentions of a patch or something.

The yellow flag may or may not be a resource conflict. Usually it is simply a defective or incorrect driver. Download the new driver. Once you know where it is, go to the Device Manager in System and remove or disable existing driver. Then install correct driver for VISTA.
Cannot figger out why you would want VISTA on an M310. I would move back to WXP at the first opportunity, as eMachines does not easily make the drivers available.

The yellow flag may or may not be a resource conflict. Usually it is simply a defective or incorrect driver. Download the new driver. Once you know where it is, go to the Device Manager in System and remove or disable existing driver. Then install correct driver for VISTA.
Cannot figger out why you would want VISTA on an M310. I would move back to WXP at the first opportunity, as eMachines does not easily make the drivers available.

The yellow flag is definitely a resource conflict. I checked the properties for the device and it says that's what's wrong with it, although when changing the view to sort devices by resources by location, I don't see any conflicts myself. I did however download the driver from the eMachines website since ATI doesn't have drivers on their support page. There actually aren't any drivers specifically for Vista for this crappy graphics card, just for XP. But, it still runs the setup and install just fine. I even tried to install the ATI driver on the VGA device just to see what would happen. It just changed the device back to the ATI device with a resource conflict.

Anyways, the laptop did come with XP installed on it but a sys file was missing so it couldn't start. I didn't have an XP disc readily available but did manage to find a Vista disc I had stashed away. I like Vista better really, but without DreamScenes, Window Previews, or the Aero color scheme for that matter, it's basically XP with modified icons and help/support features.

I'm usually good with fixing my own computer, I've just never come across a resource conflict before and I believe I've met my match.

OK. Let's assume for a sec that I want to keep Vista anyways but still want to fix my graphics card regardless of a lack of 3D acceleration. Any ideas?

Vista needs 3D acceleration for Aero and that IGP is not supported by ATi (or DAAMiT, as you please) in Vista, so no drivers for it on vista

also, you didn't mention what Vista you have, because Vista Basic lacks Aero support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back