SYSTEM.exe using a constant 99% of CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoboy

I have an HP Pavillion ze4560us notebook with XP Home. Recently I have been having several problems. It is very slow to load anything, freezes up often, and will not shut down properly. By not shutting down properly this is what I mean: When ever I go to shut it down it will get as far as "Windows is Shutting Down" and will stay at that point. A look at the task manager revealed that SYSTEM.exe is using 96-99% of the CPU. I have scanned it with Norton AntiVirus 2003, with the most recent Virus definitions and other updates- nothing. Spybot, and Ad-Aware have also scanned it-nothing. HELP ME!!!

system.exe is not a valid Windows program. It is a known trojan.

Try running an alternative antivirus and do install the latest updates for Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D before scanning with them-

System

Sorry- It's SYSTEM not SYSTEM.exe, which i believe is the registry. Either way, it was running 99% CPU constantly. Keyword "was". The solution, though I am not definite on why, was as simple as taking out the battery and placing it back in, which leads to the thought that it is power management related. Whatever the cause, that's what fixed it for me. See if that works 'IowaGuy.

-TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back