"System Failed CPU Test"...intermittently...what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

My specs are in the signature below. A couple of months ago, my 'puter would act funny when I turned it on. I could hear the hard drive whirring, but the monitor would not come on and my mobo was telling me system failed cpu test. I would turn it on several times, then almost by magic it would work after the fourth or fifth time. I've stripped the thing down, took off the heat sink, reseated the chip after cleaning the surface, reapplying my arctic, and putting the sink back on. I had changed nothing to my system when it started happening. I'd guess my mobo is about 18 months old, same with the Pentium 4 chip.

I'm wondering why it's happening intermittently. Is it a chip issue, a mobo issue, PSU, or something else? I'm stumped. Need some advice.

Alright, I'll give it a go. If my PSU is still under warranty (which I think it is), can I just return it??

If you have the proper paperwork fot the power supply, returning it under warranty should not be a problem. You should make sure it is bad first by trying another power supply

I tested my PSU and it seems that the 12V2 rail is only at about 6 or 7 volts. Could that be a cause for not starting up? I have gone so far as to remove my CPU, check out the pins, reseated it, greased it up with Arctic Silver, and put my heatsin/fan back on. Tried it again.......'system failed CPU test'. Argghh!! I just ordered a coolmax 700W power supply from newegg and I'm hoping that does the trick. If not....I guess I'll have to get myself a new CPU and the wife will be ******

"I tested my PSU and it seems that the 12V2 rail is only at about 6 or 7 volts"...

If this is correct REPLACE THE POWER SUPPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

The 12v2 rail should be 12 volts + or - 5%

Well, the Antec power supply that I had died after about a year.....

....so I would say my experience with Antec is not favorable.

I just put in my Coolmax 700W power supply today, and it's money. Computer booted right up with nary a problem. It makes me sort of sad, because now I cannot justify to my wife why I need to upgrade to a new motherboard, CPU, and video card.

I noticed that for the longest time my 'puter would not start, then finally get going after a few pulls on the starter. I swapped out my 9800 pro for an Nvidia 7600 GS 256 mb agp and after a couple of starts it just sort of died. I only got about a year out of my Antec power supply (my SECOND Antec PSU to die prematurely) so I'm wondering if there is something going on that is shorting out the PSU prematurely.

I must say, though, that this is a pretty darn nice power supply...a whole lot quieter than my Antec, and the modular concept is freaking sweet. I never have owned a Coolmax power supply, but all the reviews I have read on this one are pretty positive, despite the bad rep Coolmax may have among some users.

Hmmm... Thats weird. Antec has a reputation of quiet, reliable PSU, and one of the most recommended PSU brand here.

Personally own one without problems too.

I have built 5 or 6 system with Antec cases and power supplies and they are all working fine after two or 3 years. My 350 watt Antec Smart Power/Antec Full Server tower has handled 7 IDE hard drives, a Radeon 9600 pro and a DVD ROM and CD/DVD writer for 3 years now and still going strong.

This Antec Smart Power 350 has 2 fans. 1 is controlled by the motherboard. I have heard of Antec Power supply failures on the newer ones produced

I don't know......my last two power supplies from Antec were 350W and 480W with less powerful systems, and they just crapped on me after about a year or so. I know they have good reps (that's why I bought them in the first place!). Maybe it is the MB...what have you built these systems with mobo wise? I see you have a gigabyte right now....I've had ASUS since I started building them four years ago.

I lot of people don't like CoolerMaster, but I have installed a few and they seem to be fine. The price is good too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back