system failure after defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbeaudet

is it possible that the disk defragmenter built into windows corruped system files? i did a defrag, and left it alone and when i came back there was a blue screen that said that there had been a system failure/error and that windows had been shut down. it said to make sure all new hardware is installed and updated (it is) and to remove any uninstalled hardware (none). i started my computer a few hours later after this message and it was slow. then the same error came up. i restarted the computer and the disk was checked and it restored alot of files and now the problem is fixed. is it possible that my defragmenter corrupted files?'

also: i did a spyware removal yesterday. i got malware called spylock and i know that it was bogus and i also got the system alert popup and i knew that was spyware. i had a problem with this on my other computer before...i dont think the removal had any effect on my computer. it was fine yesterday (after removal).

Sounds more like your HD is on it's way out, hence the file structure was failing, the disk check has restored the files but I would backup anything important and then download the manufacturers test tool for the drive and run a full test on it, if it reports OK then think yourself lucky and plod on, if it finds any errors then its time for a new HD.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back