System failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob here. Looks like a pretty useful site...

Anyway I have a problem with my computer. I turned it on the other morning checked some stuff and came back after lunch to see the system "shut down." Meaning I left it on and it was off. I don't have any power-save stuff enabled. I tried bring it back up but got nothing except a slight movement of the cooling fans and very faint very high pitched noise. So I assumed the PS was bad and replaced it. Now the system will come on initailly with out video. The second try will show the boot screen just after the memory test. There is a message that says "Check System Health". Then it just sits there. I can't even get into the bios to look at stuff. So, what happened?

Gigabyte K7 Triton series w/AMD Athlon 2700+ XP.

newman said:
Noob here. Looks like a pretty useful site...

Anyway I have a problem with my computer. I turned it on the other morning checked some stuff and came back after lunch to see the system "shut down." Meaning I left it on and it was off. I don't have any power-save stuff enabled. I tried bring it back up but got nothing except a slight movement of the cooling fans and very faint very high pitched noise. So I assumed the PS was bad and replaced it. Now the system will come on initailly with out video. The second try will show the boot screen just after the memory test. There is a message that says "Check System Health". Then it just sits there. I can't even get into the bios to look at stuff. So, what happened?

Gigabyte K7 Triton series w/AMD Athlon 2700+ XP.

Your system may have been FRIED. Was there a storm or lightning during your absent?? Could have been the cause. Take the thing to a repair shop. Good luck :confused:

No, nothing at all as for surges/power losses. I was in a different part of the house at the time and noticed nothing... As far as a repair shop, nope. I can't afford their rates and I can do any testing myself. I just need to know what to look for.

Edit: Also, the HDD light stays one constently. Even with both HDDs unplugged... Been doing that for a while...

well here is the rundown

Usually if u come back and the system wont boot is the power supply.

But in your case its not

are you overclocking?

do you get any beeps?

I am not over-clocking. The system seemed to run hot with out doing all that... I do get the initail beep after the memory test. Progress stops there.

if you get a beep that means your hardware check went through. Does it tell you anything after that or does it just stall?

Try unplugging the hard drives and see if you get something on the screen telling you its lookin for stuff to boot from or if its stuck in the same spot again. If anything set bios setting to one of the predifiend things "best performance" or whtever is on the menu. Maybe something is messed. I cant tell at this point. Before you said that you only got a slight fan movement and thas it. Now your sistem goes by the beep =/

Tell me what happends when you try without your hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back