System File Checker...won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

When I run sfc /scannow, I get this message:

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [the RPC server is unavailable]

No files are checked, I guess, besides the one that produces the above error.

Any ideas?

Shane

howard_hopkinso said:
Take a look HERE at what causes the problem, and also how to fix it.

Thanks, Howard. That worked to get ride of the error code, but now when I run the sfc /scannow, and I try to repair a missing dll file from the xp disk, I get a message that says something like: the version of windows you're running is newer than the version on the disk. I keep getting a "retry", "Abort" "Give Up" list of buttons to click. When I try to close them, they won't close, and when I click retry, I get the same message again. Any thoughts?

I think that`s because your computer is running xp sp2, and your xp cd is sp1, or earlier.

I`m not sure what would be the best way to proceed here.

You could uninstall sp2 but I don`t know what the results of doing so would be.

Regards Howard :suspiciou

I'm pretty sure you're right about that--and since I'm planning on wiping my hard drive clean in a couple of weeks and completely reformatting and reinstalling--I'm not sure it's worth it to find out. Then again, if I can get that dll file back, maybe that'll take away my reason for reformatting in the first place.

Best,

Shane :confused:

howard_hopkinso said:
I see your point.

Which dll file are you trying to repair?

Regards Howard :)

That's a good question. I'm almost positive it said something like "you have a damaged dll file", without naming the file. Then again, maybe I just ignored it, thinking that Windows would find it on the disk and automatically repair it. I'll have to run sfc again and find out.

Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back