System Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtruesdale

I've been having problems with my computer randomly freezing when I'm using explorer. Sound stops, mouse won't move, everything stops forcing me to switch it off and on again.
When I look in the event viewer in the computer management console the last error shown comes under 'service control manager'. The blurb reads,

'Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the NVSvc service.'

and there's another before that, also service control manager that says,

'The Message Queuing Triggers service depends on the Message Queuing service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%0'

I don't know if these are related to the system freeze so if anyone knows anything it would be much appreciated.

mrtruesdale

more info

I've noticed that the system crashes when images are being loaded onscreen, this can be on a webpage or thumbnails in my picture folder. Everything will stop, even when I wait nothing starts up again. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200 and an Inno3D Geforce 6600gt with drivers up to date of the nvidia site. Could it be some kind of trouble with the graphics card?

mrtruesdale

Your problem is almost certainly to do with the NVSvc service.

This is the nvidia driver helper service. It is not necessary.

Right click my computer, and select manage. click on the services and applications icon, and then in the right pane click on the services and applications icon again.

This will open a window which lists all the services that are running on your computer.

Maximise the page, and find the NVSvc service. Right click on the NVSvc service and select stop. Once the service has stopped, right click on it again and select properties. Next to where it says startup type, click on the small downward pointing arrow, and select disable. Click apply followed by ok.

Now that the NVSvc service is disabled, see how your system runs. If you continue to have problems, please post back.

Regards Howard :) :)

Closing down the nvidia service has helped, it doesn't freeze while viewing images anymore. But occasionally it still freezes for no reason.
The last error message in the management/event viewer still reads,

"The Message Queuing Triggers service depends on the Message Queuing service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%0"

The source it says is Service Control Manager. Any ideas?

mrtruesdale

I've followed the links and ran all of the spyware and hijackthis routines. They found the usual cookies and acouple of other suspect files in the temp folder but all have now been removed.
However every now and again the system still freezes. The only other thing I could think that could cause it is my LAN connection. I'm hooked up to a router which connects two other computers, the other two have no problems but for some reason every now and again my connection fails and I need to disable/re-enable my connection.
In the event viewer I've found this warning message,

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

Could it be the network connection that causes the system freezes?

mrtruesdale

It's a 400W PSU with another internal fan, the machine is only a few weeks old.
Another suspicion i have is that it seems to crash more often when Limewire is running, I don't know if its conflicting with my LAN connection but I can always get rid of it and see what happens.

But thanks very much for your help, even if I don't get it sorted I've learnt alot about how to look after my computer and how to deal with spyware etc if I have troubles with it in the future!

Cheers
Mark Truesdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back