System freezes when loading XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
When loading windows XP the normal windows loading screen comes up with the blue bars running across the screen and stops scrolling the blue bars and freezes my system. The next time I restart the system the bios cuts in with a message saying " During last boot up your system hung for an improper CPU speed setting" I am using a Asus A7A266 motherboard with an athlon 1800+ cpu speed 1533mhz , multiple 11.5x , pci freq. 133/33,bios revison1008. I have also tried to use another hard drive with windows 98 open in safe mode this will open windows and work for a short time and then freeze again.

Can anyone please help?

can memory errors be attributed to a bad CMOS battery? I have an old gateway that developed memory probs....

If theres a problem with the CMOS it can cause all sorts of issues. Its where all your system settings are stored. Try a Google search for the error you got. Ive had good luck with that.

actually all my errors on my old computer have been memory errors.... I never got a BSOD.

Hmmmm?

On some of my old systems like:
Pent 3 450 and such, as they get older, I had to replace the batteries
on MoBo and had to let the board set without bat for atleast 10 mins
before they would completly reset or drop old settings. (mobo in case)
MoBo's not installed, I just replaced them and seemed to be ok.
Clearing any ram issues I was seeing.
I'm not sure if this will start a new pc myth cause I can't prove or explain it.
Could this be somthing that started with the (then)new atx form factor MoBo's?
Never really powering down unless you shut the PSU off or unplugged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back