System freezes whenever I burn a dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmashock

I've tried this in three different programs and every time I'm about 6 percent into a dvd burn the program locks up, explorer locks up, and most programs can't launch. Reading dvds doesn't seem to be a problem but burning causes some major problem.

The only thing that works is some programs that were opened prior to the lockup.

This is a clean install on an old system that has never had a problem like this before. Additionally batch files don't work for whatever reason. If I manually open the command prompt I can run "chkdsk" for example but if I try to run it from a batch file it doesn't execute most of the commands. It just skips over everything but the most basic commands like "echo"... I include this because I think it might be related.

Anyway, anyone know what is going on here? I'm probably going to reinstall but it would be nice to know what the cause of this problem was...

Windows XP SP3
IDE plexor burner

Though Plextor usually offers the best drives made, when they wear out, they cannot be fixed. A replacement is the only solution. If the drive is less than a year old, which I doubt, Plextor will send you a replacement... but I suspect it is two or three years old or has a history of heavy use..

The problem is happening at a some convenient time. I recently moved, when I booted up my computer the primary harddrive had the click of death. I replaced that with a hardware Raid 1 array... reinstalled the OS... But the new system has quirks.

I'm getting occasional Bad Pool Caller BSOD errors... which means I have a corrupted driver somewhere. I've replaced the video card and Raid drivers.

I'm also getting some batch files that won't execute. It's relevant because they ran perfectly on the old install and they only do things like run Chkdsk or move files via the copy command.

And in addition to that nonsense, I have this problem with my DVD burner. I think they're related because I can't imagine that all these things just happened at once without a common root.

Anyway, it's likely I'll be reinstalling the OS again. The one thing that worries me is if the Array is at fault and for whatever reason it isn't a stable medium for my boot disk. It's a highpoint 3120 if that means anything to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back