System Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidus

Ok here is my problem, when I try to play a game the game will stop responding meaning that I have to restart my computer, this has happend in all the games I have played so far which are Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2 and LOTR - War of the ring. It does not give any errors it just stops responding and CTRL + ALT + DEL does not work, the only thing that works is to restart the computer. So how can I resolve this problem?

Here is my spec:

Mainboard: ASRock K7NF2-RAID
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Memory: 1,0GB DDR SDRAM (2 512mb bricks)
Graphic Card: Sapphire Radeon 9550 256mb
HDD: 40GB Western Digital S-ATA

Need help please!

Oh by the way this happends also if I play a Video or try to do a benchmark with 3d Mark 2001.

Ok I am about to become crazy, I can't figure out my problem so any help would be great, btw how do I create a minidump file?

try lowering the graphics settings. The game may be taxing your system.
Close all other programs before playing.

Also your system may be overheating as well.

Well its not being overheated thats for sure as SpeedFan shows about 31C on Temp 1, 38C on Temp 2, 31C on Temp 3 and 36C on HD0. When it comes to the graphic settings I have lowered them but it still freezes. I have also installed all the latest drivers for my graphic card and my chipset drivers. I also runned this software called GameXP to optimize my computer for gaming but its still the same problem.

Bloody hell, I just tried playing a game and it still freezes (needed to do a reboot), I have checked the Event Logs as well but nothing there that may indicate a problem. Can anyone tell me how I can do a minidump?

System Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovary settings->
-Check "write an event to system log"
-Uncheck "automatically restart"
-Under "write debugging information" choose "small memory dump."

this problem could be because of a faulty video card since anything graphics intensive crashes it, if it is still in warrenty, then i recommend RMA-ing it.

Ok the system has made a minidump file, but how do I get that file in txt format? As it is currently a dmp file. sw123: That could be the problem, however since I have installed different types of drivers I am starting to doubt it. And I currently have the latest drivers installed.

Tidus said:
Ok the system has made a minidump file, but how do I get that file in txt format?

zip at least 5 or 6 dumps and post them here. you have to use windbg to read them afaik.

Tidus said:
Well how can I zip like 5 or 6 dumps when there is only one dump that has been created?
you cant.
post the dump you have atm, and later if you get any bsods, then post any new ones.

the dump shows a crash at "NVENETFD.sys" with a bugcheck of D1:

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

i couldnt find much info about this file on google, but i think its related to Nvidia mobo devices. if you have nvidia stuff on your mobo, then update them to the latest drivers.

The file seems to be related to my onboard network adapter, should I try to disable it to see if that is what causes my gaming problems? Or should I just try to find a new driver for it?.

Well I tried simply disable it but the games still freezes, it does not give me any BSOD error, it just simple stops responding and I have to restart my computer. Anyhows I am going to try to test my memory bricks for failures & also install a new PSU as I think my PSU is just crap.

same kind of problem

Tidus and all,

I am experiencing the same kind of problem with the same card (different manufacturer, but ATI Radeon 9550 256 MB).

When I am playing a game - any game, including ones that worked with my previous video card (Nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB) - my monitor shuts off within a few minutes and will not turn back on, but the computer stays on (unresponsive - the power is on but will not respond to any commands) until I manually shut it down - ctrl-alt-del does nothing.

Tidus - I don't think that I will be much help in resolving your problem, but I can tell you what specs I have, and what I have done that has not helped. Perhaps working together and with the assistance of this community we can resolve both our problems.

My System:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.10 GHz
512 MB RAM
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X-LA
Hard drive: Samsung SP0802N 80 gig
PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 480W

I have:
Updated BIOS
Updated graphics driver
Tried every graphics/resolution setting/configuration I could think of
Changed my primary graphics driver to AGP/onboard in BIOS
don't remember what else

Anyway - any ideas, anyone?

I see, I have tried most of the steps you have done except updating my BIOS but intend to do it. I got the latest drivers and all but it just keep freezing. Changed the settings etc, tried setting the BIOS on APG instead of PCI but nothing. So hopefully we can both figure out this problem as its really irritating.

I am starting to wonder if this spesific graphic card has known issues or if it is driver related problems, anyhows from what I can see about your system osreader is that we only got 2 things in common and that is the graphic card and Windows XP Home Edition SP2 which I think indicated that one of those 2 things is the cause for this problem.

Well I have comed to a conclusion that its not the graphic card that causes this problem as I tried borrowing a graphic card from my friend which has problems with his computer being restarted and he suspected his graphic card, so I let him borrow mine while I borrowed his. I installed the drivers for his card and started up by doing a benchmark test and the system stopped responding again.

So now I am wondering if this problem I got could be caused by a problem with the CPU, Memory, HDD or my PSU?

Anyways does anyone know if my PSU is good or bad? I got a Q-Tec V-MD 350 (ATX-350), info here: http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13317&specs=1

Btw, after reading on my powersupply I found out that I got this:
+5v = 35A, +12v = 17A, -5 = 0,5A, -12v = 0,5A, +3,3v = 20A, +5VSB = 2,0A

Is that good or bad?

Tidus,

I've been reading some other forums, and I seem to have found someone who has the same motherboard and graphics card as my system, and the conclusion of the thread was that the two are incompatible. My motherboard is not really designed as a gamers board.

This may not be the case, but this other person was having the same problems as I am, and the only way it was resolved was by getting another graphics card that fits a PCI slot rather than AGP.

That isn't really the answer I wanted, but I have yet to find a thread on any forum that relates to the problems that we are having that has a successful conclusion.

Also, there seems to be a rather large number of threads on this forum and others that deal with problems specific to this card. This may be usual, but there seems to be an unusually large number of problems for this card.

I don't know much about power supplies, or I would give you some feedback - sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back