System hangs cause of a device driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodbatH

Hi, for over 4 months i'm experiencing system hangs as a result of an unknown fault driver/hardware. I'm not getting a blue screen but in the event logger i always find a "SaveDump" event wich shows this stop error:

0x0000000a (0x00000014, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e2a1f)

its always the same error (0xA), the same memory address is being referenced(0x00000014), same IRQL (0x0000002), same operation (read operation) and same instruction address (0x804e2a1f).

i tried to disable many drivers but it didn't help.
i searched for a driver which uses a memory range that includes 0x804e2a1f and i found out that its the "PCI Bus" driver (which is a standart driver supplied by microsoft).

this is my computer:
PSU 400W
Gigabyte mobo(GA-7N400S) with nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset
AMD Athlon XP 2700
512 DDR 400Mhz
nVidia GForce 6600GT (Gigabyte board GV-N66T128VP)
2 HDisks 120GB each

I realy need help with this one.

Do you get a BSOD? Does it give you a term for that error such as "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or something like that?

I'm guessing XP of course.

It certainly does sound like a driver. I would just go on a driver update quest myself. Head over to nvidia and get the lastest Unified platform (nforce) driver at http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Then go over to Gigabytes web site and see if they have any drivers relating to something nForce doesn't cover. Such as a controller chip that isn't part of nForce. But don't download anything nForce from Gigabyte.
While at nVidia's site, it might be worth while to get the latest Forceware driver and load that as well.

After loading all those drivers, if it still crashes, check Windows Updates and see what kind of drivers MS thinks it needs. I'd hate to do it but I'd say download those and see if Windows likes them better.
---------

Relating to the error. If the system just restarts on you, turn off automatic restarting by: right-click My Computer, choose Properties. Then Advanced tab, then "settings" under Startup and Recovery. Then UNcheck "Automatically restart". This way, if the system crashes, you'll get the actual BSOD.

If Windows wants to send an error report, do it. If MS knows anything, it'll open a web page and tell you what.

Very lastly, check for a BIOS upgrade. Don't upgrade it, but see what the updates are from the version you have now, in case one is relevant to the issue.

"Do you get a BSOD?", no i don't like i said before: "I'm not getting a blue screen but in the event logger i always find a "SaveDump" event"

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is the stop error, and yes, its XP pro sp2.

i got the latest nForce, and GPU drivers.

the system doesn't restarts, i already disabled this option (though it didn't happen even before iI disabled this option) it just freezes.

I'll take a look at gigabyte's web site and search for any extra driver i may need.

My BIOS is up to date.

thanks for helping, I'll try to search at gigabyte.com.tw for any extra driver and i'll run windows update.

Okay, I wasn't sure about the BSOD, some people interpret that differently.

While you're at it, go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and download memtest86. Let that RAM test run for an hour or so. Or for at least 2 passes.

In my experience, when a system just freezes cold, with no error or restart, it is a hardware problem. Which may or may not be driver related at all, but simply malfunctioning hardware.

Woohoo, lucky guess on my part for the stop error! Did I win something?

So test your RAM thoroughly and report back.

I've suspected that the problem might be with the memory but i replaced it with a new one and nothing have changed.

Right now, i think it might be a problem with the Mobo cause like i said the driver that uses the memory range which includes the instruction address from the stop error is the "PCI Bus" driver, I think I'll try to replace it.

With that basic of a system and nVidia driver sets then there's not much left. Have you checked for a mobo BIOS update? Have you tried a new, clean install of XP?

My BIOS is up to date, and I'm already using a clean installation of win XP, I've formatted the disk 4-5 weeks ago, and no hardware changes (except the GPU) have been made since then.

Edit:

Now, finally I got a BSOD:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x00000077(0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000000, 0x01353000)

After searching for a solution at mocrosoft's web site, I found out that this error (with those parameters) can be caused by two SCSI drivers trying to read same kernel page part at the same time, but I dont have any SCSI devices except Alcohol and Daemon tools's virtual drive drivers, which I've already tried to disable but system hangs still occurs.

*By the way although it looks strange, this BSOD is related to the "SaveDump" event that i see in the event logger, after I restart the computer (after I got the BSOD) i saw that event again.

So let me get this strait. You've been having this same error for 4 months or so. And you've reloaded 4-5 weeks ago. And still getting same error with same parameters?

Besides suspecting a driver, I would suspect hardware if you've done a reload. You might go into the BIOS and disable any onboard devices you are not using, such as SATA or onboard sound if applicable.

SCSI can sometimes come up generically as parts that aren't really SCSI, such as USB related stuff or SATA stuff or even CD-ROMs.

I would look around for updated drivers and BIOS.

Double-Check Memory Timing in BIOS

Make sure the memory timing in the BIOS is set correctly according to the specs of your RAM modules. Stop overclocking, if anything is.

Thanks guys, tomorrow I'm gonna replace my mobo with another one (same board, just a new one), I realy checked all of my hardware devices except the mobo, maby this will solve the problem, if it won't I'll start testing your last solutions (Memory timing and disable onboard devices).

BloodBath,

Are you using nVidia Display Card? If yes what version are you using? I think it is a software error as you always get the same bugcheck parameters. Hardware error occurs random and you will get different bugcheck code and bugcheck parameters.

Well, I've replaced my mobo with an EliteGroup one (same chipset) and now, after every time I restart I see the same error in the event viewer (same bugcheck parameters), but system hangs have stopped, sometimes it gets stuck (hardware and software) but after 3-4 seconds it becomes usable again, I guess the problem is not solved, the mobo might be more "compromising", what should I do now? what can cause this problem? and how can it be that Windows thinks that after the restart "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" though it didn't...? I didn't got any BSOD, I've rebooted by my self, it wasn't a bugcheck reboot....

Post all the system event 1001

When Windows crashes, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump.

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

I know that, you can see the content in the head of this page, I've already said what this event contains, my question is, how can it be? I'm not experiencing system hangs but I still see this event...

Anyway this is the event (and its 1000 not 1001):

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x00000014, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e2a1f). A full dump was not saved.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If you replaced the motherboard, you should reload. I know it's a pain, but it gives you the chance to clear out everything in there and use the latest drivers and so forth.

Sorry, I can't remember if you said you had already reloaded or not. But it would be a good idea to do it again with a new motherboard.

BloodBath,

Maybe I don't understand your problem. Whenever you reboot windows, it displays a message your windows was crashed. Delete the paging space and allocate a paging space.

Hi BloodbatH,

If you haven't resolved the problem, zip 3 to 4 minidumps and attach the zip files here. You can find the minidump at the folder \windows\minidump. I will study the study and find out the culprit.

cpc2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back