"System has recovered from a serious error"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
recently my computer has been crashing for no reason and thats what the error report says:

Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

I am not sure this is the only problem. i think i had spyware too so i got avg antispyware on top of my anti virus n got rid of the spyware. However there is another thing which is weird: its in the control panel in the program list: there is loads of weird installed programs like Windows Xp Hotfix kb282010 and loads of windows update things which i had never seen before.
does anyone know how to help me?
thx a lot

the clue to the problem is what the error message said a device driver, you should take a look in device manager and see if it's highlighting anything that it's not detecting or having problems with.

bonobo said:
However there is another thing which is weird: its in the control panel in the program list: there is loads of weird installed programs like Windows Xp Hotfix kb282010 and loads of windows update things which i had never seen before.
does anyone know how to help me?
thx a lot
this is normal and if you [x] show updates, then there should be ~ 2 tons of them for XP. Just uncheck the box and it will shorten your display.

Have you recently installed any new software? If so then try reinstalling it.
Have you recently installed any new hardware? If so then check the drivers.
Always take these steps first for problems like this.

Hope this helps!

thanks, ehm..this might sound stupid but how do i check the drivers? where do i have to go on my comp?

Desktop. Right click on the My Computer Icon>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager.

Expand all the trees and branches by clicking on the [+] next to the name. If there's any problems it will have a ? icon or ! or similar - you'll notice its different from the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back