System is Laggy. Plz Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled upon this forum looking for a solution for my problem. I found quite a few threads concerning my Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.00 board but no solution to my problem.

So I bought and installed an Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile processor last night after reading multiple articles about how awesome this CPU is for OCing since its unlocked and needs very little voltage to stay stable. I put the puppy in without a hitch and then I load up bios and change the the multplier and FSB and all that jazz since the bios reset itself after seeing a new CPU. I load into WinXP Pro and when I am on my desktop, I get a "lag spike" every second or two. This lag occurs no matter what is going on...moving the mouse around in circles(it will skip), playing video(skip frames at the same frequency..every second or 2), playing games...anything!

Here is a link to an article about the Mobile processor. They even used my mobo to test it and reported no problems...only that they couldnt OC more than 2.4ghz

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/athlonxp-m-2500/index.x?pg=1

I am really bummed from this, but I keep cool and start updating drivers...I did the nforce chipset drivers, video card drivers, and flashed the bios with newest revision. It is still happening!

I then tried messing with the mem timings and so such in bios...keeping the ration 1:1 with the FSB...no luck. Then I tried multiple combos and the system lag is still there.

There are no hardware conflicts in device manager. I set the HSF on fine with Artic Silver(temps are in the 30s). There are no errors in the windows error reporting. I am stumped!

Here are some of my hardware specs-->
New CPU AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile
Thermaltake volcano on my CPU
The A7N8X Deluxe 2.00 Mobo
Geforce4 TI4800 SE
Antec PSU @430W
512mb dimm of OCZ PC3200 ram (ddr400)

My current core voltage is at 1.625 which should be plenty...even so I have tried increasing it and decreasing it. I've tried lowering FSB and so such and doing the same with the mem frequency.

I have tried everything that I can think of. The issue seems to me like a memmory issue...and reading the post dedicated to my Mobo, I was kinda thinking it doesnt like my ram. But my system ran fine with it before.

I think it is high probability that this is a good cpu and not a dud since the mobile chips are A grade and each is tested.

Please, any advice or recomendations would be awesome! :grinthumb

Domin4nt

I really cant give you an exact answer, and this may sound off, but check your IDE controller settings and make sure your HDD is set to DMA Mode 5, I had a friend who had a constant lagging like you describe and thats what it ended up being...I know you didnt mess with your HDD's, but still, check it.

What are you speaking of here? You bought one of the mobile versions of the chip???
I think it is high probability that this is a good cpu and not a dud since the mobile chips are A grade and each is tested.

Ok...I will check on the HD and see what it is set on.

About the CPU....read the article I linked to. Its cool stuff. I just hope I can get mine to work properly.

Does it lag like this in the bios? :p

It sounds like more of a "software" prob to me, I'd format + reinstall.

It does not do it in bios...nor in the logon screen. After the logon is when it begins...desktop and anywhere after.

I would think it was my XP install too but it was fine b4 I put in the new cpu...and thats all I have done.

And I also checked the IDE controller settings and it is on DMA 5.

=(

no way! I only format when like the OS dies.

Anyways...I figured out the problem!!! For some reason(I have no idea how because it wasnt a problem b4) the 3COM LAN controller was causing major gayness. I disabled that puppy and viola! Thanks for your input guys. Time to OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back