System lags every few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I previously posted this in the Windows subforum ( https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic107786.html ) but this is looking more and more like some sort of mobo/cpu problem.
Here's a brief review of the problem:
About two days ago I switched all of my components over to a new case. There was also a rather bad storm that night and we lost power once when I booted it up to see if everything was working.
When I finally got it all hooked up, I noticed that every few seconds the system would lag (mouse,keyboard,sound,etc).
I have tried many things such as looking around in the BIOS (everything appears to be fine) and reinstalling windows on a new drive(problem still exists).
One thing I did notice is that on a fresh install of windows the problem did not manifest itself until I installed the mobo drivers and restarted, I don't know if it was the drivers or the restart that did it.

Relevant Information:
CPU: AMD athlon 64 4000+ at 2.4 ghz
MOBO: A8N-SLI Premium
GPU: Nvidia 9600GT
Ram: 2GB Corsair something or another

Best thing to try is a completely new install, including a new NTFS format.
CPU problems are rare, but CPU fans can be a problem as soon as a year after purchase. Motherboards are seldom a problem, but we see more and more ASUS and Gigabyte difficulties than we used to..
As you reinstall, pay very close attention to what goes on when you install each of the drivers. If you have a driver disk that came with the board, install each driver separately then reboot, rather than selecting the choice to install all drivers at one sitting.

raybay said:
Best thing to try is a completely new install, including a new NTFS format.
CPU problems are rare, but CPU fans can be a problem as soon as a year after purchase. Motherboards are seldom a problem, but we see more and more ASUS and Gigabyte difficulties than we used to..
As you reinstall, pay very close attention to what goes on when you install each of the drivers. If you have a driver disk that came with the board, install each driver separately then reboot, rather than selecting the choice to install all drivers at one sitting.
Will do, I'm holding off on replacing anything until atleast tomorrow, and I don't think the CPU fan is a problem as it's currently running at 32C with the motherboard at 30C, so no change from when I switched cases.

Okay, got through instaling the ethernet drivers and the SMBus drivers without the problem resurfacing, the only driver left is the IDE one which I don't think I'll be installing as per my knowledge I don't really need it.
I'm going to continue on and install the audio and gpu drivers and if the problem doesn't resurface consider it solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back