System property is showing only 192 MB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopu

Hi,
I don't know if it is a problem, but recently in my office i exchanged two of my computer's memory with each other, both the system has AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1.79 GHz ,one with 256 MB and another with 1 GB RAM respectively. After exchanging their memory the one with currently 256 MB of RAM currently is showing 192 MB in the System Properties. Obviously the system has got damn slow accepted! coz it does not has much work on it, but the system is showing 192 MB. Is it a problem or is it obvious? Also please tell me how much i can upgrade the memory of the system with this configuration ?
Thnks,
Gopu

The 256Meg computer is likely using 64Meg for onboard video, therefore making 192Meg left

how much i can upgrade the memory of the system with this configuration
Not sure what you mean, as I have no idea what is the system maximum capabilities.
Usually most systems (even very old ones) can go to at least 2Gig of Ram.

I would suggest that you bring the 256Meg system up to minimum 512Meg (in reality 448Meg) Basically the more the merrier!

There isn't any fault here though.
Although there could be if you continue swapping Rams (basically once seated, they don't like getting moved around much)

First of all thank you once again,

Well I was confused because the 1GB computer was showing 960 MB in the System Property, may be using "40 MB" for on-board video. So I was wondering whether the 256 MB computer showing 192 MB may be showing less. Can you please tell me why is it like that?

Another thing I would like to know; My computer is with 1GB memory in one of the two memory slots, if I want to add another memory in the other memory slot should both the memories be identical in capacity.

e.g: Can I put a 256 MB or 512 MB memory in the other memory slot?

Thanks,
Gopu.

The 1Gig computer is actually 1024Meg
It's showing 960Meg
Therefore 1024-960=64 (see maths was useful afterall)

Therefore (again) the 256 is showing the exact same result (64Meg used by Video memory)

No both Memories don't have to be the same
But; they seem to work better if they are.
Also they must be the same voltage and speed (ideally)
And lastly, put the best memory stick (usually biggest) in the first slot.

I think I've done well without knowing anything about your computer specs !

Hi,
Oh yes! sorry I just failed to recall that 1 GB memory is actually 1024 MB, so thats the reason!

Well I think that I need to unhide my system specs which will assist you to help me better. I am gonna do it now. Any way thanks a lot and please tell me if any information you need in addition about my computer.

Thanks buddy!! And one more thing, you are really good in maths!!

Gopu.

I agree.

Don't go less then 512MB especially since your video card uses part of system memory vs. having its own.

But also consider 1GB.. Look at the price difference between 512MB vs.1GB as it's typically a reasonable $$ amount and you will get back a very noticeable difference in performance between the two. Unless you run memory intensive apps or feel like spending the extra $$, i generally find 1GB a good price point.

btw.. when looking at total price (for the memory to get) be sure to consider how many memory slots you have vs. what it means in new chips for the upgrade, e.g. when upgrading, your bottom line difference is different if you're starting with one 256MB chip in one slot out-of-two vs you 128MB in each of two slots. You can also go to one of the big memory vendor sites (like www.crucial.com) and let them scan your system to tell you what you have and what the options might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back