System reboots all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you people are sick to death of hearing this, but having read through all the bits i

can on this problem, i still am no nearer the solution!

My GODDAMN PC will not stop restarting itself......!

It all started a few days ago when, with the aid of a friend, i put together a pc.

Everything was going swell when we were setting it up (we built it around his house), but as soon as i had got it home, plugged it in and fired the beast up, it took an instant dislike to me and decided to antagonise me by randomly restarting! No warning, no blue screen, no error message (Also no virus' or spyware etc on harddrive). It was doing this when i was watching an episode of the simpsons, playing 'Star Wars KOTOR2', or even just sitting idle.

Usually happens withing 45 mins of computer being on, although i got a whole hour and a half out of it yesterday!

So i tried to determin the fault. I checked the temp of the CPU etc, all great, increadibly

low. I checked everything was in ok, and that was fine too. I even ran checks on the harddrive etc, nothing wrong. (Damn thing restarted just when i had finished that last sentance!)
So i took it back around to my friends house so we could try and test it. The testing including running the graphics card at full pelt and trying to get everything running at top speed to see if it was anything like that. That all went fine, and the computer haden't restarted in hours. So i left it with him for the rest of the night to see what would happen, and if it did, he was going to replace the RAM with his and see if that made a differnce. So 6 hours past, and there is NO DAMN SHUTDOWN. So deciding it may have been my power cables, or something external, i went home equipt with alternatives to every problem.

I then take the computer home, plug it in, fire it up and wait. 30 mins in, and RESTART number 1. I switch over the power supplies, and then another 20 mins, RESTART number 2. Try another mains supply (Surge protection plug) and 20 mins in, RESTART number 3! Prehaps its my house that the computer doesn't like????

But serioulsy, if anyone has ANY suggestions short of throwing it out of a 10th story window, please, oh please help me!

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64bit Venice Core 3200+
Abit UL8 SKT939 ULI M1689 single chip Chipset Dual DDR400 AGP SATA ATX Motherboard
Geil Value 512MB PC3200 Dual Chan DDR Kit (2x256MB) (Cas 2.5 6-3-3) with Aluminium heat spreader
20g Compaq Harddrive (Off old computer)
Compaq CD RW (Off old computer)
DVD ROM
Generic AMD fan
Ebuyer Extra Value 15cm Gold 500w Psu With Acrylic Top
Leadtek Winfast A340-T128 FX5200 128mb DDR Full Direct X 9

Thanks people, Colin

i had a similar problem with my comp that my friend and i built...i fixed mine by updating the BIOS. you should try that.

maybe check for compatability with everything and make sure all the drivers are up to date....otherwise i would just call abit customer support.

If your computer is randomly restarting then its probably your power supply. There not expensive, just get one from:

Thermaltake
Antec
Hiper
Tagen

About 380W-400W will suit you for any future upgrades.

Alex

P.S= eBuyer PSU's are rubbish, you can damage parts of your computer with a crap psu i have recently bought a new one because all the eBuyer ones suck.

another suggestion...

More often than not....this could be a power supply, or BIOS issue...however, now that those two problems have been checked....what about this.....

have you made sure that your standoffs are properly placed? I cant think of how many times people have had restart problems, and it was because they forgot to put one of the standoffs on, or one of the screws was touching the motherboard....it is also possible that you may have screwed one down too tight, and that could cause some metal on metal action....i know that it is a HUGE pain to take apart the whole damn thing just to check the standoffs...but hey, might be worth it...

cant think of any more reasons right now....did you say that the time that it stayed on for 6 hours was when you replaced the RAM? or was it because it was at your friends that it stayed on for 6 hours?

hope that helped a little...
keep us updated...

Chaz D.

Hey guys. As of writing this, and having done NOTHING to the machine, the pc has been on for 9 HOURS! (So easily pleased!) Im not holding my breath on this one though!

However, i will check the standoff and for anything touching, always a help anyway! And it was only around my friends house it didn't restart, nothing else was changed bar the power lead and plug.

There is something you may be overlooking. It may not be anything internal to the PC but external like dodgy power at your house. I'd suggest that you buy a quality Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) from a reputable dealer that can carry the full load of your PC. I always recommend these to anyone with a serious investment in a PC. They aren't cheap and getting one that won't carry your full load is useless so expect to spend around $100. I have to run both my PC's off of UPS as the power browns out and/or clips on and off daily at my place.

Think i MAY have the answer, although again, i am NOT holding my breath! Ever since 0400 this morning (British time) i have had the PC running smoothly with no restarts, also, since then, i have not turned on my lights in my room! Which would coincide with the fact that my lights have always been flickery, like it was surging etc. So MAYBE, that might be it?????? Seems very odd though that my old lap top (On which the battery was dead and had to be consistantly plugged into the mains), CD player, TV, Water cooler etc all work fine?!

EDIT - SCRATCH THAT THEORY. after having to restart it due to error, the damn thing has reset itself again after 5 mins! Whats the chances the reset switch could be the problem?

Cheers, Colin

just a bit of advice here...i would never get a power supply below 500w...you never know when you'll upgrade something only to find out that your power supply can't handle it.

Yeah thats why i got the 500w model. Well Moday im gonna disect the whole thing, and try the psu, ram, any other bits i can with current working, compatible computers. Hopefully that way i can establish the problem.

And damn thats one expensive Seasonic psu!

There's a problem with the motherboard sensor which gives a false high CPU temp when first switched on,but returns to normal after a reboot.
Have you installed the cool & quiet driver,which I thought turned the computer off if the temp was too high.
Is It shutting down completely or just restarting.
Have you overclocked anything,clear the CMOS and set the memory to SPD.
My CPU and memory are the same as yours with a cheap psu,500 watts with 25 amps on the 12 volt rail.

Peter.

Just thought of something else,after rebooting do you get a window saying a serious error has occured and offering to send a report to microsoft.

Hey guys. Cheers for all the help. Seems like ive got it sorted now. Did a RAM check this morning, and when i came home from uni this afternoon i found it finished, and detailed as 3 out of 1,000,000,000 passed the test, the rest were faulty! Now have spare RAM in the computer (Only 256MB....Sucks!) and its working fine. So the faulty RAM is on its way back to Ebuyer.

Cheers again for all the help guys, its really appreciated! Hope i can help with your problems in the future.

Cheers, Colin

try your old

old parts my have probs. with new parts and old parts have probs with xp and any new os out there 2k and up the motherboard in question may not work with vista for it only can work with new parts and will not work or work well with old parts... sorry

and stock cooling may have probs with any high performance gaming

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

cricketol said:
old parts my have probs.

You obviously didn`t notice, this is an old thread. ;)

I must admit, I posted in one or two old threads when I first joined Techspot lol.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back