System reboots during install of BWMeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everybody! I am new to TechSpot and I would appreciate some help.
First of all, my system:

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000
Pentium 4 2,6
80Gb Hard
1024 RAM
Nvidia FX 5600 256MB
Power 450 Watt
Plextor DVD
LG DVD recorder
Windows XP SP2

Now the problem. I tried to install BWMeter and in the process of installation the system rebooted before completing. On startup, it keeps popping a window that it Found New Hardware. If I choose to install the new device, it starts installing through the wizard and then reboots again. In the Device Manager >Network Adapters there are various "Desksoft Miniport" icons (#6, #7, #11, #12 etc.)with a yellow (!) or red (x). I want to get rid of this Desksoft pain, please help

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

Now try and uninstall BWMeter. If that doesn`t help, try doing a system restore to before you installed BWMeter.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The fact is I cannot uninstall the program since the installation was not completed and it's not in the Add/Remove Programs list, nor is there any uninstall in the Program Files folder of the program. I guess it should be uninstalled manually in some way... I have tried the System Restore in the past, but I was not entirely satisfied. There must be some way...

I tried to complete the process in Safe Mode, it completed succesfully but the system didn't boot at all, it rebooted at the point of "Loading your personal settings". So I loaded through "last good configuration" and now
Ikeep receiving the "Found New Hardware Wizard" at startup.

I would suggest formatting and re-installing ur o/s. I wouldn't advise trying to re-install bwmeter after u have done this cos u don't really need it.

It's a net-watch program and I definitely don't recommend installing it!

I finally managed to solve the problem by re-installing BWMeter through Ashampoo Uninstaller Platinum 2 and uninstalling it again. We beat the beast!

Did you get rid of the multiple "Desksoft Miniport" network adapters?

I've got beaucoups of them and can't uninstall them. I get a warning that they may be needed for bootup!

No, I just let them be and they don't seem to affect the system in any way so far. That's why I didn't bother trying to get rid of them, but I'll have a go at it when I have the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back