TechSpot

System Restore & Corrupt Pics

By xTweakx
May 1, 2008
  1. Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum and hopefully I can get some help.

I just recently did a system restore on my first XP computer I had about 4 years ago. It had a virus for awhile and was down for a couple years but I finally got it to work and did a system restore to July 2007. Everything like music, videos and such came back. As well did all my old pictures I restored for except when I click on them it says 'no preview available'. They are most all jpeg files and I've seen threads like this before but only on transferring files never after a system restore. I was wondering if there is any way possible I can revive these pictures so I can view them again? It would really mean alot to me if someone could find a solution or let me know if there is no way I can revive the pictures again.

Thanks much,
    Tim

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Yes, there are several good picture recover software programs at www.majorgeeks.com, www.tucows.com, www.cnet.com and others. They will find anything that is an image of any time, if it is not already damaged. you may have to rename them.

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Tim, it would be helpful if you clarified your post:

You've had the computer for 4 years?
    You had a virus and left the computer sit for 2 years?
    You decided to do a System Restore back to July, 2007.
    You are missing some pictures?

If the above are all correct, I would follow with:
    Did you get rid of the virus? System Restore doesn't usually do it.
    Any pictures you saved "after" July 2007 aren't going to be available "after" that restore- they simply just didn't exist.

4. xTweakx

xTweakx TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, that's all correct but I fixed everything. I got most of the pictures back.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

Picture previews get generated (by some software) when the image is first loaded.

In the directory containing the *.jpg, look for the file Thumbs.db as that is where they are stored :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.