system restore doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynda

I dragged system restore onto desktop from system tools accidentally so i now only have the shortcut on desktop. cannot do a system restore now, but as it is a new PC i don't know if it ever worked or if I have caused the problem. There are restore points there but cannot restore to them. I m using windows media centre, can I reinstall system restore as I do find it useful

That's odd, did the shortcut target change somehow? The things in the start menu are shortcuts too, it shouldn't matter where you copy / move them.

is your system restore on?

can i ask, for what reason do you need system restore at this time,what is happening?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
That's odd, did the shortcut target change somehow? The things in the start menu are shortcuts too, it shouldn't matter where you copy / move them.
yes, system restore is on and allows me to create a restore point. i was only going onto system restore to delete old restore points

Not sure what you mean by "did the target change"

if your pc is running well, and you're happy with it, try switching off system restore then reboot. then switch back on restore point and create a new one

urm well i had the same problem once .. it turned out to be something wrong wih my registry values

it was probably a virus that did it anyway
it affected the help and support function aswell i dunno if its like that in your case??

try registry mechanic its pretty awesome ... cleaned up my system a treat
also try avganti spyware (previously known as ewido)
and maybe avast hehehe

give it a go anyway .. it can hurt

tomrca said:
if your pc is running well, and you're happy with it, try switching off system restore then reboot. then switch back on restore point and create a new one
have you tried this yet

if you have switched off systems restore, then shut down your pc, then rebooted it, there shouldn't be any restore points at all, until you switch on system restore and then create a restore point. restore points are created when there has been a change the contents of the hard drive, for eg, adding or removing a programme or you create one by choice. the dates of the changes are hi-lighted, and you can only restore to the highlighted point's, or have I missed the point of your question?

Good restore points also depend on what percentage of the hard drive is allocated for a restore point. If allocation is only 2-5%, you'll get fewer restore points and only essential files. I discovered this with my last hard drive. Sometimes an error may occur but the restore won't work because the files needed to restore where outside the range of the allocation size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back