TechSpot

system restore doesn't work

By Lynda
Jan 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I dragged system restore onto desktop from system tools accidentally so i now only have the shortcut on desktop. cannot do a system restore now, but as it is a new PC i don't know if it ever worked or if I have caused the problem. There are restore points there but cannot restore to them. I m using windows media centre, can I reinstall system restore as I do find it useful
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That's odd, did the shortcut target change somehow? The things in the start menu are shortcuts too, it shouldn't matter where you copy / move them.
  3. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

is your system restore on?

can i ask, for what reason do you need system restore at this time,what is happening?
  4. Lynda

Lynda TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes, system restore is on and allows me to create a restore point. i was only going onto system restore to delete old restore points

Not sure what you mean by "did the target change"
  5. tomrca

if your pc is running well, and you're happy with it, try switching off system restore then reboot. then switch back on restore point and create a new one
  6. resu

resu TS Rookie Posts: 218

urm well i had the same problem once .. it turned out to be something wrong wih my registry values

it was probably a virus that did it anyway
    it affected the help and support function aswell i dunno if its like that in your case??

try registry mechanic its pretty awesome ... cleaned up my system a treat
    also try avganti spyware (previously known as ewido)
    and maybe avast hehehe

give it a go anyway .. it can hurt
  7. Lynda

done a virus check and reg mechanic....no joy
  8. tomrca

have you tried this yet
  9. Lynda

Tried switching off and back on.... no good
  10. tomrca

if you have switched off systems restore, then shut down your pc, then rebooted it, there shouldn't be any restore points at all, until you switch on system restore and then create a restore point. restore points are created when there has been a change the contents of the hard drive, for eg, adding or removing a programme or you create one by choice. the dates of the changes are hi-lighted, and you can only restore to the highlighted point's, or have I missed the point of your question?
  11. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

Good restore points also depend on what percentage of the hard drive is allocated for a restore point. If allocation is only 2-5%, you'll get fewer restore points and only essential files. I discovered this with my last hard drive. Sometimes an error may occur but the restore won't work because the files needed to restore where outside the range of the allocation size.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.