system restore doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley50

Hi I am trying win xp sytsem restore to get around an irritating screech which has just started during boot up. I have tried two but both failed. I do have external USB HDD which I turn on as needed. I have tried restore with and without the externals powered up. I am using the default 12% space for restore.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
cheers

Are you saying the restore will not work? Of just that the screech didn't get taken care of by the restore?
In order to use System Restore effectively, you must have previously created System Restore points, but I assume you knew that.

clarification

Hi - sorry - two separate problems:
1. audio screech starts during windows logo on boot up and stops on desktop arrival
2. have system restore on default but two restore points did not restore and complained 'system restore incomplete'.
Thought an earlier restore would be 'screech free'!

I would cold boot to your Windows disc, then run it in R ore Repair Mode just to clean up common Windows defects. Some restore discs and OEM versions will not do this.
How old is your drive, and what is the brand? Have you had any other sorts of problems recently.
Just to set aside nagging problem ideas, I would go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer and download their latest drive fitness test. It will quickly tell you if you have drive problems brewing.
Then, of course you must do system scans for spyware and evil infestations.
Next, I would take a look at the Event Viewer to see what stops and evil failures have been reported... read through the entire list of anything in red. (Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Even Viewer)
Can you describe the screech? Is it coming out of the speakers, or deep in the depths of the computer case?

Hi raybay. Had a look at the Event Viewer (first time ever) and despondently observed:
error disk 7, 9 and 11
error sr 1
warning disk 51
warning ftdisk 57
Guess a hard drive is failing??
The 'screech' is out of my speakers. As it starts and stops during boot up I assumed a process in startup.
Any ideas why System Restor does not work?
Will have to try 'repair' tomorrow.
Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back