TechSpot

System shuts off on memtest86

By Tranq
Mar 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I booted up my floppy drive and memtest starts running...it goes through the first percentage cycle and then on the second one around 91% it shuts my system off immediately...I can't press c for configuration or esc to reboot either it doesnt let me...any ideas? ive never used memtest before so if this sounds stupid plz let me know
  2. tbrunt3

tbrunt3 Newcomer, in training Posts: 495

restart it but before you do it remove one ram stick if you have two installed.

let us know
  3. Tranq

Tranq Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 92

ok i tried it with both memory sticks separately and it still shuts off...so maybe both RAM sticks are damaged or maybe the motherboard is damaged...not sure...
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Maybe try some other memory test? Memtest86+ instead of Memtest86 maybe?
  5. tbrunt3

tbrunt3 Newcomer, in training Posts: 495

Redownload Memtest86 form here http://www.memtest86.com/

burn it to a cd go to bios to make the cd first thing to boot (or first on boot order) rerun the test with stick of ram .. YOu might have a bad copy of it to begin with. Becuse if you had two bad ram sticks you would not post or be here...

let us know
  6. sven breynaety

sven breynaety Newcomer, in training

System shuts down on memtest86

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, I ran memtest with all the RAM inside, and the system shutsdown after a few tests.
    So I removed all the RAM and left but one, I did the tests again, but the same problem. I did this with all the RAM modules seperately but the same problem exists. I ran memtest86+ as well, same here.

I think there is a problem with the memory controller on the motherboard. How can I be sure of this? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

THanks
    Sven
  7. cpc2004

cpc2004 Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,044

Maybe overheat and your PC shutdown to prevent hardware damage.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.