System Tool 2011 and Safe Mode

By fishfleas
Jan 18, 2011
  1. I am attempting to remove the virus/malware "System Tool 2011". I read some solutions that involve restarting your computer in safe mode. I have a log in user name and password setup on my computer. I was unable to do a F8 safe mode boot. For whatever reason the computer was not recognizing it. I instead was able to setup the safe boot from msconfig before the "System Tool" loaded up on boot. Unfortunately now I have another problem. Safe mode is now booting, but it is not recognizing my user name and password. So now I have it defaulted to safe mode, and I cannot get it back to normal boot.

So my first issue is does anyone have an idea of why it won't let me log on?

Does anyone know how I could get back to normal boot without having to log into safe mode?

Assuming I solve the safe mode issue, I will still need to get rid of this virus. Does anyone have any solutions to getting rid of it?

Thank you!
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Welcome to TechSpot! You have gotten into a mess, haven't you!?
    First, Running the preliminary scan we ask for should be run in Normal Mode. Perhaps you read somewhere else that you should scan in Safe Mode.
    Can you do this:
    Start in Safe Mode> Go to All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore> Choose a Restore date closest to right before you set the Safe Mode start in msconfig> let it restore and restart.
    If the above is successful and you can reverse the Safe Mode startup, reboot into Normal Mode and proceed with the following:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
    NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    I'm not sure just what you did regarding setting a password or where you reset it. If you can get in, run the above in Normal Mode.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.