TechSpot

System32\config\system not found

By mandpaul
Jan 21, 2008
  1. Hi,
    I just got the message system32\config\system not found or corrupted when I tried to boot up my xp machine. I have tried the recovery part, but don't get the prompt for entering the system number (supposed to be a 1). What should I do? Does this mean that my data is not recoverable? Thank you, Maggie

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,957   +587

OOPS! that file is one of 4-5 that make up the system REGISTRY!
    Your files and programs are fine, but you need to recover the registry.

here's one kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/en-us

another http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/en-us

the procedure referencing the \repair folder is only STEP-1 of a THREE step process documented here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

following all three steps is fruitful (ie it works well) as I can attest from my need to recover a corrupt registry

3. mandpaul

mandpaul TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

Thank you for replying! I have tried to do the microsoft How to recover from a corrupted registry. Unfortunately, it did not work. I get to the recovery prompt, and type in md tmp. Then it tells me that the path is not there. Does this mean something bad? Thank you, Maggie

4. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

You have to be exact with those commands : md tmp

If still no go,there is a good page HERE which gives you more support detail

than the MS article.Read it all the way through before attempting anything.

The next option is a Repair Install,HERE

Your data should all be safe,but if you want make sure you can remove the Hard Drive

and attach it to another PC,either internally,or to the USB using a IDE/SATA USB adapter ($20 ?) and copy data off.

5. vintwala

vintwala TS Rookie

I had that problem before. What I did was I used the winxp cd and used the repair function which bought me to the command prompt. Then I typed in this command

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

And then it asked me to overwrite the system file to which I said yes. And then I restarted the computer and it worked fine.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,957   +587

you need to copy ALL THE REG files to keep your registry in sync.

notice the source is from \windows\repair -- this is a primative registry and
    will allow you to at least BOOT. The Real registry you need will be recovered from a System Restore Point

7. mscrx

mscrx TS Rookie Posts: 310

you could also try booting the pc with a bartpe cd. use the a43 tool which is like the windows explorer and browse to the folder c:\windows\system32\config. there you find two files named system and system.sav. if the file system.sav is bigger than the file system - in file size - then rename system to system.old and after that make a copy of system.sav and rename it to system. restart your computer when done...

good luck

8. mandpaul

mandpaul TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 51

I did it!! I was able to bring up my restore points and was able to actually restore! Thank you so much for all of your help! It restored to the point a week ago, and that is fine. I now have everything backed up. I usually back everything up every week, but will now do it every night!
    I do have one more question. I don't know if this is related or not. If not, just tell me so! Now that I have xp running, I can no longer connect to the internet. When I try to do it, it says This application has failed to start because WSOCK32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    Any ideas what this WSOCK32.dll is? I have looked online some (from a different computer of course) and don't find this mentioned with xp. What am I missing??
    Thank you so much for all of the help!! I couldn't have done it without all of you!! Maggie

9. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

Well done with the restore. :grinthumb

Your right about there not being much XP info about wsock32.dll

I suggest you get another wsock32.dll and paste/copy it into

C:\Wndows\system32.

-There is spare one in C:\Windows\service pack files\i386\

- You can also get it from the "i386" folder on your XP CD. Winrar will extract it.

-You may also be able to get one from another XP computer,

or download one from HERE

There is also something called WinsockFix

which may bring it`s own wsock32.dll,but i can`t promise anything.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.