System32\config\system not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandpaul

Hi,
I just got the message system32\config\system not found or corrupted when I tried to boot up my xp machine. I have tried the recovery part, but don't get the prompt for entering the system number (supposed to be a 1). What should I do? Does this mean that my data is not recoverable? Thank you, Maggie

OOPS! that file is one of 4-5 that make up the system REGISTRY!
Your files and programs are fine, but you need to recover the registry.

here's one kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/en-us

another http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/en-us

the procedure referencing the \repair folder is only STEP-1 of a THREE step process documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

following all three steps is fruitful (ie it works well) as I can attest from my need to recover a corrupt registry

Thank you for replying! I have tried to do the microsoft How to recover from a corrupted registry. Unfortunately, it did not work. I get to the recovery prompt, and type in md tmp. Then it tells me that the path is not there. Does this mean something bad? Thank you, Maggie

You have to be exact with those commands : md tmp

If still no go,there is a good page HERE which gives you more support detail

than the MS article.Read it all the way through before attempting anything.

The next option is a Repair Install,HERE

Your data should all be safe,but if you want make sure you can remove the Hard Drive

and attach it to another PC,either internally,or to the USB using a IDE/SATA USB adapter ($20 ?) and copy data off.

I had that problem before. What I did was I used the winxp cd and used the repair function which bought me to the command prompt. Then I typed in this command

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

And then it asked me to overwrite the system file to which I said yes. And then I restarted the computer and it worked fine.

you need to copy ALL THE REG files to keep your registry in sync.

notice the source is from \windows\repair -- this is a primative registry and
will allow you to at least BOOT. The Real registry you need will be recovered from a System Restore Point

you could also try booting the pc with a bartpe cd. use the a43 tool which is like the windows explorer and browse to the folder c:\windows\system32\config. there you find two files named system and system.sav. if the file system.sav is bigger than the file system - in file size - then rename system to system.old and after that make a copy of system.sav and rename it to system. restart your computer when done...

good luck

I did it!! I was able to bring up my restore points and was able to actually restore! Thank you so much for all of your help! It restored to the point a week ago, and that is fine. I now have everything backed up. I usually back everything up every week, but will now do it every night!
I do have one more question. I don't know if this is related or not. If not, just tell me so! Now that I have xp running, I can no longer connect to the internet. When I try to do it, it says This application has failed to start because WSOCK32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Any ideas what this WSOCK32.dll is? I have looked online some (from a different computer of course) and don't find this mentioned with xp. What am I missing??
Thank you so much for all of the help!! I couldn't have done it without all of you!! Maggie

Well done with the restore. :grinthumb

Your right about there not being much XP info about wsock32.dll

I suggest you get another wsock32.dll and paste/copy it into

C:\Wndows\system32.

-There is spare one in C:\Windows\service pack files\i386\

- You can also get it from the "i386" folder on your XP CD. Winrar will extract it.

-You may also be able to get one from another XP computer,

or download one from HERE

There is also something called WinsockFix

which may bring it`s own wsock32.dll,but i can`t promise anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back