system32/hal.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

I got a message that my system32/hal.dll is missing but before that I heard some noises from the inside of my computer, Hard Drive I beleive.
Now I cannot even boot up in Safe mode or get to the point to try a system restore.
OS win XP
Sata hard drives 2x80gig New since April 07
I have a feeling I am in trouble, is there any one out there that can save me or is time to buy more hard drives?

Raid what? 0 1 0+1

If 0, you are probably sol but could call around for PRO help.

If 1, I would definately recommend a shop if you value the data.

For true.

RAID 1 is where the two drives are mirrored - write to one and it will also write the same changes to the other one at the same time.
RAID 0 is where the data is striped across both drives for speed - the problem here is it one drive fails, you have lost all the data. It can also be tedious finding which is the bad drive without making it worse.
If you have RAID 1, no worries as one of the drives will work on its own.
If you have RAID 0 - you have maybe lost one drive and all the data.
Although the theory about striping is good as it does make for an improvement in speed on and off the drive, I have seen too many RAID arrays fall over.
RAID 1 - the better bet but remember that if one drive collects a virus, they both get it at the same time.
Still, there is no substitute for regular backups to external media.
Hope this helps
Cheers

I found the Raid drivers (On Floppy) and and along with the Xp install disk used F6 to try and get into repair/recovery and my system again told me it cannot detect any of my Hitachi HDDs. But I was able to advance further with the Raid drivers but got the same message. I pressed Rthe was asked where I want ot repair and then the message came up telling me The drives are not being detected.
I pulled the box off its shelf and took the cover off.
The connections are fine, both power and sata cables
I checked the voltage 5v and 12v as it should be.
I plugged them back in without a monitor attached and the powered up and it seemed the disk were turning. I carefully put a screwdriver to the metal plate on top of the drives and the other to my ear and listened for strange noises. on one drive there was a slight something at startup then it stopped.The other drive seemed smoother at startup. I could also feel some vibration with my fingers but perhaps that is normal. The Seagate IDE I have hooked via the PCI card was the smoothest.
Mother board is a Intel D975XBX2 (New) so are the Hitachi HDDs. If I go to Bios and look in Advance then Drive configuration and I was able to see the Hitachi drives
I am Raid 0
is there any thing else i can do?

That error in the beginning is normally from corrupted filesystem/broken hdd/onnecting two hdd's as master.

Since ur using raid 0 on sata that only leaves 2 options, 1'st I'd mak esure the disks are fine. Sownload the Seagate diagnostic software from the seagate website and boot with a floppy/usb and test both drives.

once that works try get a old 10gb or w/e ide hard drive and isntall windows on there, get a program called "active file recovery". I recently lost my raid controller and used that program to rebuild the raid and copy everything to another drive. (so for this to work put ur sata controller on ide mode and create the raid with that software)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back