Systems Restore....On or Off ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody,
I'm new here , . . . am I really in England via cyberspace time ???

I need some advice, . . I have been trying to clean up and get rid of malware,
and have uninstalled some softwares that I used, like Active Virus Shield, . .
I think it was slowing down things which actually made things in general worse, as I was trying to get rid of the Trojan Downloader, etc.

I have discovered after, "clicking", Systems from the Control panel ,
and found in the systems properties box, that there is an empty box in front of following, "turn off systems restore".

Can anyone tell me what this means and what is going to happen next ?

Patiently awaiting your reply.

Zigfeld

System restore reverts your PC's drivers and registry settings back to a different date in time.
System restore is inportant and extremely useful in suituations where malware/spyware installs itself and corrputs your registry. You will do no harm turning it off (you will free up alot of disk space if you do) but I would reccomend keeping it on.

Check it out through START - ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - SYSTEM RESTORE.

Hello and Many thanks for your reply, Mikescorpio,

I wasn't sure if it would revert since it appears to be on, . .

my thinking was that if it reverts I will loose all my document files, and I cann't afford that !

If its been on akk this time, why has it not restored, I'm not going to turn off the computer until I know I am on the safe side.

I do not have an internet d=omain if that is what your asking about.

Zigfeld

You shouldn`t turn system restore off, until your system is fully clean. The reason for this is simple. If during cleaning, something goes wrong, it`s better to be able to restore the system, even if that means it`ll restore the nasties as well. Otherwise, you could be left with a reformat as your only option.

I suggest you follow the advice I gave you in your other thread.

Regards Howard :)

You won't lose any data if you do a system restore. It only replaces drivers and registry setings.

Revert back to a date you know the PC was working ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back