TechSpot

T-Mobile takes aim at heavy data users with unlimited data across two lines for $100

By Shawn Knight
Dec 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. T-Mobile continues to take the fight to the wireless industry leaders with cutthroat pricing that's hard to resist. The carrier has announced a new Simple Choice family plan that offers up unlimited 4G data across two lines for just $100...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

$100 a month? I just want to use some data, not buy their towers.

3. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 200   +44

Will you be throttled after 5GB?

4. fredderf81

fredderf81 TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +40

umm...are you serious? 100$ a month for UNLIMITED 4G data for 2 people is crazy cheap. do you pay your own cell phone bill??? show me another MAJOR (not prepaid, not cricket or boost or junk like that) carrier that will offer unlimited 4G data for 2 lines for better pricing.

5. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,030   +267

If the price was $50 / month for one line and they do not throttle after some arbitrary cap, I would consider doing this for my home data connection. Even if I were interested in having unlimited data on a mobile device, the way that I see this is that this is the price point T-Mobile wants to be at for every customer, and I am not buying the marketing. The way I see it is that this plan requires 2 lines even if you only have one. Sorry, T-Mobile, not interested.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

If you're an American it may be cheap, I'm not from America and yes I pay my own bill but I use prepaid. My data is wifi only, I've got no reason to use mobile data, it's way too expensive.

7. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

These unlimited wireless plans will never replace internet landlines.... it's not feasible to burden a network with so much data use.

8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,030   +267

Never is an awfully long time, and time usually catches up with never.

Matter of fact, Verizon is offering a deal where they are encouraging such use. If the data was not capped, I would do it in a instant. As I see it, limits are a BS artificial cap so that those doing the limiting can squeeze the wallets of those who subscribe.

9. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

I've said it before on threads regarding US wireless carriers... it's just not feasible for them. If they can build out capacity (and lots of it) in large cities and metropolitan areas then there is a chance. But it's just too much infrastructure to build to support this type of initiative. Then you run into the problems with municipalities/cities who have been strict on the deployment of new cell towers.

Where is this verizon deal that you speak of?