T2792 Mobo Replacement

By sithmaster
Oct 26, 2006
  1. Same story as everyone ever who has an emachines.

So i checked around and determined i have a microatx and im curious if i can use a atx board. theres room inside the case and the dimensions are in the atx (the case's dimensions).

also has anyone found a good replacement? i want to be able to use my front panel 2x usb, mic, and headphones. it was a celery 2.7ghz with 24fsb or such and im looking at an amd.

i want 3 pci slots and either pcie or agp (leaning towards pcie) and to be able to use my current ram 512mb i think 2700 ddr dimm.

ive checked tiger and newegg but i have little experience with mobos so can someone recommend something. i will need a decent fan/heatsink.
  2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

You cant have PCI-e, you have socket 478. Ill find a good AGP board. But that processor will DEFINITELY hold back any video card 5500+. My 2.8Ghz celeron d holds back a POS 5500FX, consider a new computer.

The cheapest mobo, that supports PCI-e is for a laptop, and costs 130$.
  3. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

4. sithmaster

sithmaster TS Rookie Topic Starter

You misunderstood. i dont want an exact replacement i want a whole new board and cpu.

i listed the 478 cpu as a reference to what my current (fried) board is. anything better than it is what im in the market for.

this is the board and cpu im considering

with this heatsink and fan

it will work with my ram and has a pcie slot for future upgrades. the only thing is the placement of the fdd header. i currently have a pci video card (BFG Geforce FX 5500 OC 256mb) and if i use it the gpu fan will obscure the other slot or the fdd header. i will eventually get a better vid card but for now i dont know what to do.
  5. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Ok here are some recomendations. your case will only fit a micro ATX board. (there are solutions for several price levals)

Low budget $130 (gets you a low end AMD Athlon 64 [still a signifigent upgrade fron a celeron] and a pcie motherboard ):
    CPU: (boxed CPU includes fan)

Midbudget $370 (gets you an AMD Athlon 64X2 and a pcie motherboard but requres new ram)

High Budget $540 (gets you an Intel Core2Duo Dual core processer and a pcie motherboard but requires new ram)

Any cpu/motherboard upgrade will require a new powersupply(the E-machines PSUs are junk anyway)

Here are some recomended PSUs:
  6. sithmaster

sithmaster TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the links.

i already got a new psu an ultra 400w. its retarded how the day it arrived in the mail my mobo stopped working.

i have to say that of all the forums ive been to, trying to get something helpful, this one has been the most helpful. thanks everyone.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.