Tablet set-up - android

Row1

Hello, Everyone - I finally got an android tablet - for my youngest boy, for Christmas. It was very inexpensive, and is fine for what I expected.

Now, I have ordered another to be yet another web-browsing, youtube-viewer, and email computer around the house.

For PCs, I prefer to build my own, with a clean Windows install, or if I have received a computer with Win already installed, I like to re-format the hard drive, and do my own install - to get rid of bloatwear, etc.

Should I do this with Android? Will I suffer with a slower tablet unless I load a clean OS? Or is this irrelevant? Is it difficult to do a "clean install?" Is there such a thing as a "clean install?" THANKS!

Tablets and phones have a "reset" feature. This feature resets the tablet or phone to like it was when you took it out of it's box, minus your photos, music or purchased apps. You can setup each screen with what you want on it so, a re-format type thing is not necessary

The tablet may already be in a 'clean' state. If it doesn't have AT&T, Foxtel, or some other weird non-Google apps and widgets on it, chances are it's clean to start with.

What's the exact model of the tablet?

If it's a semi-popular one I can guide you through the steps.

Well, I have not heard any reason to mess with it, and it is probably better to just leave this one running well.

BTW: this is an awesome deal. This arrived yesterday, and I was able to set it up for my wife, and once she was on face book she was happy. Then, I goofed around with it for a while during State of the Onion speech -

This tablet is very satisfying, at the price. Walmark had it for $60. A good deal - specs below. went back to look at the ad today, to give model #, and it is now at $49.99, and free ship if your order is over $50, so find some thing for a dollar and you avoid the $3 shipping. I bought another pack of BBs for the kids.

If a decent 7" tablet at $50 sounds good, take a look! -It has a lot of great reviews at Walmark-

HKC P776A
1.5 GHz
1 GB ram - probably ddr2 since it does not say ddr3.
8gb storage

Out of the reviews, the one noted weakness is weak wifi at farther distances. There are things to do to address that, such as setting up a repeater. maybe tin foil on the antenna, like the old days. But overall, the comments are well above the comments of all the other Kindle WannaBe's.

Sounds good, and I wouldn't touch the OS. If it seriously stars getting bogged down, then come back for help.

Going by the info on the vendor's site. It doesn't look bad as far as bloatware goes. Just the basic Google apps. Shouldn't bog down and affect usage much. I'd leave it as is.

WiFi weak because all these tablets and smartphone base on linux code running on android never got out of the defaults prior years. I fixed this issue in the Android tablets I support and the code could be used in newer tablets or smartphone running any current version of Android OS. Once you do this then WiFi will match up to what you run on your WiFi Router in the house. Full HT (High Throughput) or VHT (Very High Throughput) What every had since 2007 first prototype Android Tablet 2009 first one released running Cupcake 1.5. They never changed the code.

My latest ROMs called PowerCode 1000-X95 WiFi Enhancer 2014 does fix this issue.

Can you post a guide to this? Consider that I and many have never monkeyed with Android OS, eve if we are familiar with monkeying with Win or Linux . As I get older, I get less eager to jump into new, long-learning-curve computing skills. but I am interested in this change.

I wouldn't touch it, unless you can find the tablet listed on 'XDA' website.

If it's a relatively unknown and untouched tablet from a homebrew developer perspective, you will either not get anything working, or won't be able to revert changes if you screw something up.

if you had a 'popular' Samsung Galaxy tablet or similar, it'd be another story.

Sounds good, and I wouldn't touch the OS. If it seriously stars getting bogged down, then come back for help.

First off this tablet would need to be rooted (unlock root) so you can gain access to hidden sub files.

Exactly, and rooting an unknown tablet if you're a newbie to the entire thing is a bad idea. :p

Only rooted it if you can find the root tool. For your make and model tablet. I would search on XDA. This is how you would search: how to root your make and model tablet xda. See if your tablet shows up? If it doesn't, and you feel your not up to the task then just use what you have.

Back