Tablet shipments to overtake laptop sales in 2013, entire PC market in 2015

Dave LeClair

tablet idc pc sales

IDC, the research firm responsible for much of the data we see on sales figures, has made a bold prediction that tablet sales will exceed all laptops this year, followed by the entire PC market by 2015. 

The firm estimates that tablet shipments will grow by 50 percent in 2013, going up to 229.3 million units. Outselling laptops is a testament to the growth of tablets, but the more shocking prediction is that they will exceed all PC shipments by 2015. 

This is another sign that the PC market is hurting, while the mobile space is growing at a tremendous rate. It appears as though many consumers are opting to spend their money on new smartphones and tablets instead of laptops and desktops. As such, sales have fallen sharply, with only a few brands seeing success.

A key part of IDC's prediction is the decrease in the average selling price of tablets by 11 percent to $381. PCs, on the other hand, sell for $635 on average, almost twice as much. This is why so many consumers consider tablets a winning proposition given they're able to perform most simple daily computing tasks.

Not surprisingly, tablets with smaller screens (and thus lower price tags) are gaining traction at an impressive rate. IDC says that in 2013, 55 percent of all tablets sold will fall into the smaller-screen segment. By 2017, it expects devices of the small variety to grow to 57 percent of the total market share.

Permalink to story.

Well, yeah, that's cause everyone already has a PC or laptop and they're buying tablets as secondary devices. I really doubt college students are getting tablets instead of PCs or laptops when they go off to school... although maybe they are, who knows.

I'd expect there are very few households that own a tablet without a computer also in the home. We've gotten to the point where PCs/laptops bought within the last 5 years are good enough that they don't need upgrading to perform the tasks most people use them for.

Not to mention any new computer is going to come with Win 8 on it...

Yeah, and most of the tablets will not be able to run MS Office, because Microsoft will not or does not know how to port their software to other platforms. At one time I thought they were a software company, guess that ended when they became an criminal monopoly. Only maintaining their software for their OS to extend their criminal monopoly.

There is no substitute for a proper PC be it desktop or laptop. The Surface is far too small at 10 inches especially as I am used to using twin 22 inch screens. For the cost of a Surface Pro you could afford a very high spec PC so I think it is unlikely PCs will be supplanted by tablets.

I think tablets have surpassed "foolproof" operation, and have extended their utility to encompass, "imbecile proof" operation.

And that boys and girls is why everybody wants one, or at the very least, believes they can't live without one....

I think the next generation tablets should extend "touch"operability, to allow the user to simply drool on it.

People want to consume media and the web, so naturally these sorts of devices that are extensions smart phones are selling well. But most people still have a desktop or laptop for serious work and gaming. One is quick and simple; the other is more complicated and full-featured.

It always amused me when someone says the 4- or 6-year old "showed them how to use" an iPad/tablet or whatever. Those things are like babies toys. Push the picture squares and stuff happens. Doesn't make them computer geniuses.

Back