TechSpot

Tactus set to release an iPad mini case that can magically create physical buttons over screen

1. What if buttons could morph out of the surface of your device? A startup by the name of Tactus has been working on it for a few years, and if all goes well the company is set to bring its...

Read more

2. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Booster Posts: 143

These may be preferred over breast implants some day.

H3llion and Julio Franco like this.
  3. Ideal solution if it works. No keyboard but when you need one just use 'magic'.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

The guy in the video sounds like a familiar villian.

EDIT: THE MANDARIN! I think?

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

That sounds very cool actually if it works!!!

6. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

I'd say a cross between the Mandarin and Optimus Prime, but with a lighter voice.

H3llion likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

I'm impressed and the launch price doesn't seem overly ridiculous for a new technology. Problem being I can see Tactus quickly getting lapped up by one of the giants if this product ever takes off. Most likely Apple.

8. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

I think I remember something about apple patenting this a long while ago.

I may have just imagined it though.

9. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah I am very impressed and might think of picking this up.

11. I loved my BlackBerry and after about 4 months with an S3 which I love the only thing that really kills me is the keyboard. That BlackBerry took so much abuse, that keyboard is absolutely irreplaceable. Such a magnificent keyboard, I've been wishing someone would somehow figure out a way to give me a BB keyboard on an Android phone. I would totally settle for this though, some really cool stuff there.

12. Here's the real question: How much extra battery will this take and how durable is it.

The description states that it uses an elastic film filled with liquid. This means that it has a set amount of times it can expand / shrink. Each time it does so will cause more and more wrinkles to appear. They are going to have to make it a decent thickness as well to prevent regular wear and tear for ripping it.