TechSpot

Take a step back in time with this browser-based Super Mario 64 recreation

By Shawn Knight
Mar 30, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. relive n64 super mario nintendo gaming nintendo 64 mario browser game found retro gaming super mario 64 mario 64 pilotwings 64

On September 29, 1996, I had a serious decision to make. Having saved my allowance for months on end, a launch-day Nintendo 64 game console was finally mine but I only had enough money for one game. Would it be Super Mario 64 or Pilotwings 64 (the only two games that launched alongside the console)?

Foolishly, I chose the latter while all of my friends got busy playing the latest Mario title.

I eventually bought Super Mario 64 and had a blast with it. The graphics were mind-bending and the gameplay was beyond anything up to that point. It truly was one of the greatest video games ever created and now, you can relive a bit of the magic right from your web browser using this web-based recreation from Erik Roystan Ross.

relive n64 super mario nintendo gaming nintendo 64 mario browser game found retro gaming super mario 64 mario 64 pilotwings 64

Built as a test bed for his Super Character Controller project for Unity, the remake isn’t dead on but it’s pretty darn close. It’s a bit awkward to play using a keyboard as I quickly found out but with a proper gamepad, it’d no doubt be much better.

Hopefully, Nintendo won’t put up too much of a fuss over the use of its IP. The company isn't exactly fond of letting others borrow from its catalog, especially if revenue is involved.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Pilotwings 64 wasn't too bad of a choice. Pretty entertaining game in it's own right, but definitely no Super Mario 64.

3. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 706   +180

Snoooze