Take-Two reveals GTA V has shipped 60 million copies, and the online mode just hit a peak

midian182

Staff member

Grand Theft Auto V parent publisher Take-Two Interactive recently held its quarterly financial call, where it revealed that the fifth game in the GTA series has cemented its position as one the best-selling video games of all time by passing the 60 million copies shipped mark.

Many are wondering why a game as hugely successful as GTA V still hasn’t had any single-player DLC released. The reason is probably because the online element continues to make Take-Two so much money. Company CEO Strauss Zelnick said that players are still “highly engaged” with GTA online and, more than two years after its release, has recently had its best week ever in terms of both revenue and active players.

Zelnick never gave specific numbers, but, before it hit a peak during the holiday season, GTA online had around 8 million players per week. The CEO said that this “sustained engagement” is partly due to GTA online’s constant flow of add-on content and in-game events.

The company doesn’t think that GTA online has plateaued; in fact, Zelnick believes it will make even more money over the coming year.

Take-Two’s net revenue for the third fiscal quarter was $486 million, down from $954 million from the same period a year earlier. The drop was due to the reduced number of Take-Two games released.

Despite the fall, the result beat expectations of $400 million – $450 million, primarily because of the stronger than expected revenues from GTA V and GTA Online. The company added that NBA 2K16 also exceeded expectations.

With GTA Online continuing to be so successful, Take-Two knows it is in its best interests, financially, to keep focusing on it rather than the single-player part of the game - which is a shame for those (like me) still waiting for some story-based DLC. But when microtransactions are generating so much revenue, you can understand why the company sees the future of GTA V to be its multiplayer mode.

Permalink to story.

Well that's good news and bad news isn't it? I enjoyed the game for the single player aspect. I played online for about a week and gave up. If they next version focuses more on the multi-player aspects it won't be a game that I'd enjoy as much as I did in this version.

Agree with 9Nails. That and how hard is it to convert this additional online content for single player. I would pay for it.... that way you guys can make even more money. Lets drive revenues!

What percentage of that is PC vs console.... would be interesting to know.

I guess I should try this online mode some more. I tried it for an hour or so but didn't get into it. I prefer the single player personally and will probably play it again at some point.

Back